Tuesday 15 June 2010

Health matters

As mentioned before. I had Ulcerative Colitis. Whay I did not say was that for 20 years or so prior to that I had been taking medication for hypertension.
One day I was summoned to thje surgery where a Doctor informed me thjat my condition was serious and that we had to keep a close eye on it. I asked him if taking Atenonol for a prolonged period had caused this Colitis. He informed me that there were no ill effects whatsoever with Atenonol and it was a very good drug. I mentioned to him that ALL drugs had side effects. He again told me that as far as they knew, there were no side effects with the drug.
To my horror about 6 years later I was watching BBC News 24 and there was an announcement that went something like this. "The most common cause of type 2 diabetes in the elderly is caused by so called beta blockers used to control hypertension, so if you are on one of these drugs, next time you visit your G. P ask him to change to a different drug. I immediately went dowen to see a G.P. the one I originally saw had left the practice,and asked him to take me off ther drug. He informed me that this could not be done immediately as I would have to be weaned off them. I went for 1 month on 50mg and then 1 month on 25 mg then nothing. I was then asked by my Consultant (Colitis) if I would have my gall bladder removed as this was not helping my cause. When I went for my pre med. I was informed that I had glucose in my urine. In other words diabetes. The thing that makes me angry is that the Doctors knew about the dangers of using Atenonol for some time but they did NOTHING at all. However my consultant wrote it on my records that my diabetes was induced. So instead of spending a little more on the medication on me regarding hypertension, now it is costing them a lot more. I also have cateracts in both my eyes and with the medication I am taking for colitis. A toxic drug used to combat cancer, my immune system is not good and my blood situation is also not good. It was with these things in mind that I unfortunately decided to give up golf in 2006. I gave my equipment to a guy who also had hypertension on the assumption that he would take up golf. Needless to say he has let me down. The equipment was Ping golf clubs. Powercaddy trolly and everything needed to play golf including about 6 dozen brand new golf balls. Such is life.
So since I finished playing golf, I have spent my time in the garden. I have a greenhouse a polytunnel several raised beds, a small friut cage with plums cherries strawberries gooseberries raspberries and strawberries. I can't eat many strawberries as they start my colitis off.
I try to grow vegetables early sos much so that for the last week or soo I have been eating peas out of my polytunnel. They grow much taller than outdoors. I grow little marvel early peas. I have found them to be best. I also grow climbing french beans . The two types are fasold or cobra. They crop about 10 times better than outdoor ones. Different to runner beans, they will not set in a polytunnel or greenhouse. Too hot for them. I also grow new potatoes in the greenhouse and polytunnel. I always aim th get them ready for early May. This year was no exception. However outdoors, everything is a little later than last year. My broad beans are not quite ready although I have had a taste. Photos will be posted showing garden produce. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment