Monday 21 June 2010

This fickle English weather

Well how can one describe the weather we have had recently. On Saturday it was 13c 54f. Gale force winds. I wondered why a lowloader with a car on suddenly stopped outside my front. I soon discovered why. He got out of his cab, went and shifted a large branch that the wind had broken off the Ash tree. Also there were squally showers in the morning.
On Sunday it was just a little warmer, just as dull as Saturday but the wind was not quite as strong hence the temperature of 15c was recorded. What a change today, a lovely sunny day with only a few whispy clouds and the temperature around 20c. I have also picked a few raspberries and strawberries from outdoors. Some people think that strawberries will not ripen here in England. How wrong can anyone be, they are generally ripe for Wimbledon, mine are about a week later this year. This was due to the cold long winter and poor spring.
Broad beans are also shown, I set them in modules in early January indoors, then when the weather gets warmer transfer them to the greenhouse, still keeping them in modules. I try to set them outside in the middele of February but this year it was early March. I set 2 types one is Express and the other is Green Windsor. I have tried several times to set Broad Beans in late Autumn. Some varieties can be sown this way but I have found that they are attacked by insects and are not as good as the way I set them now.. They are just about ready now. Also ready are my climbing French Beans, the seeds are Fasold but Cobra is good too. I set them in pots in early March indoors then transplant them out in early April in the greenhouse. To be honest French Beans the climbing type are not nearly as good outside but in a polytunnel or greenhouse are great.
My new potatoes that I set in the polytunnel in February are now producing large tubors. I hope to take a photo of 1 root soon. The variety is Arran Pilot. I find that they are the best tasting also the best for the area. I always try to get my produce early each year as this is when they are at their most expensive in the shops. I do have the odd tomato ripening but for the first time I have had a lot that have not germinated. This is Gardeners Delight. I also grow small plum and large plum tomatoes. They seem to be better. I grow them because there are less seeds so there is less chance of getting seeds under my denture plate. These tomatoes are planted as seeds in early January. This way I get them early each year, generally before the end of June.
By the way, I am not always successful with early sowing. This year for the first time my runner beans were caught by the heavy frosts in late May. Although I covered them up with fleece, the tops must have got damp as the frost killed the tops I rekon this has meant that they will be about 2 weeks later this year. I grow Enorma, they are not good for a prolonged crop, Scarlet Emperor, a great old favourite and Painted Lady. They are so reliable. I always set some more seeds about now next to the beans that are climbing up thr sticks. This generally means a continuation of runner beans well into October. If the weather is kind, then early November. More about my garden next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment