Friday 11 June 2010

More golf

Well I have found a new persuit and of course I have to be careful not to let pleasure detract from business. I did not and it was in September 1985 that I played golf again. In October, I entered a charity competition, it was only local. I actually won the competition. I was to hold the shield for 1 year, then the next year hand it back and receive a silver cup. Mind you only a small cup. This did not happen though as the next year the competition was cancelled. It has never been played for since, so I have a shield. It is the only tangible thing I have that I actually won. I did win the Whyte & Mackay trophy in 1991. I gave it to my mother for safe keeping. As I have mentioned before, she was an invalid. Well she lost her balance and went all her length, smashed the plinth which was onyx, destroyed completely the figure of a golfer on the top. I was a little sad, but I know I won. I also won a litre of special Whyte & Mackay whisky plus I think £27 voucher. I have won several club competitions but you obviously do not keep the trophies, your name is however posted on the honours board.
Trade was steady during the intervening seasons and the landlord sold the property to another person. I was a little disappointed that I was not given the oportunity to buy the property. But that is life.
As you know my lease ran ouy in 1989. The new owner came to see me and i told him that I just needed 3 more years. He agreed but an increase of 300% was agreed to.
So at least my plans were begining to come to fruition. It was my intention to retire at 60 and play golf, mind you the best laid plans do not always go to plan.
I still had a few years to go and all I was really doing was marking time. I was tired of catering, remember I was still working 7 days a week in the summer, doing all of the baking and cooking, my health was not as good as it could have been. So I decided to lighten my workload even further. I only opened at lunch time and closed about 3.30pm. No I did not play golf, the only day I played was on a Thursday and that was after 5.00pm.
The next couple of seasons went by O K and finally in January 1993 I vacated the property. I had for the last 9 moths prior to me leaving, bought a plot of land, had a small bungalow built on it so I had somewhere to live. It was also near the golf course.
Ray, my friend found a small business for me as I was only 56. It was a kiosk on a car park by the sea front. Yes it was time consuming but what a change from what I had been doing. I was selling drinks and snacks, beach gear but never inflatables. I refused to sell them as they were potentially a death hazzard. I wanted to be able to sleep at nights.
With people coming in their cars, it was a different type of customer. In general very very nice people. I would sometimes go up to the kiosk which was about 8 miles away and I would forget to have a shave. I used to say it was designer stubble.
In 1995 I went to hospital and had a routine operation. Somebody once told me that if at all possible, never have an operation if possible as your body will then attack your weakest point.
Yes it did with me, I was diagnosed with an illness called Ulcerative Colitis. Nobody knows what causes it, there is no cure although there ars some good mediacations. Unfortunately, I was intolerent to all the medication known so that was not good.
It made my mind up for me and so in late autumn 1997 I sold the kiosk and decided to retire early. I was still playing golf but an attack of colitis meant that I had to spend time in hospital. This was annoying more than anything else.
I started to play in the Seniors Open competitions. There were plenty available within 75 miles. They were a good day out. None better than Spalding Golf Club. To get in there was difficult, but was an excellent day out. I guess I played in at least 50 opens but managed to win 1. That was Laceby Manor . I think it was in about 1995. I did enter the 2s competitions and if I had one, then you was paid sometimes in cash. The cash just about paid for your day out. Besides that, you met so many nice guys, all of similar age.
Anyway that was how I spent my time for the next 5 years or so. More to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment