Thursday 10 June 2010

Work and play

So now I had something to look forward to besides work. Yes, golf. I went with Ray on wednesday after May Day Monday for the first time. Remember I had not been anywhere at all only working. Anyway we arrived at the Golf Club about 10.00am. It was dull and misty but it was one of those days that when the sun broke through it would be hot. Well Ray had golf clubs and was showing me how to hit the ball when a young lad shouted that the practice area was over the other side. It was the club professional. Ray went and told him that we came here to join. Well after a few words, he went into the Secretaries office and found our application forms, asked us if we had any money. Ray had his cheque book and he paid for both of us. He also paid for me to get a part set of clubs a bag and shoes plus balls and tees etc. We went then to the practice ground and was there for about 1 hour. The friend who got us the forms arrived at the course and asked us if we would wait for a few minutes, he would show us the Golf course. Wee he said to me "Get a card and you can put it in for your handicap." I had never hit a golf ball before in my life.
I went round the course with Ray too, I do not know how I managed to walk the last 2 holes. I was completely shatytered. When it came to adding up my score for the round, I had managed to do the 18 holes in a magnificent 186. I still have the scorecard to this day. It did do somebody good though. A lady at the club who worked behind the bar heard me telling somone about my first round. She took up the game stating that if I could do that for the first time and eventually get down to a single figure golfer, sher was prepared to have a go. I am pleased to say that she has enjoyed every moment of golf.
We only had 2 rounds of golf before the season. I said that work would come first and pleasure second. By now I had also changed my car. A Jaguar XJS V12 Coventry Climax engine. Not new but a real mover. It was also a real petrol eater. It held 20 gallons and if I had air conditioning on then I could get 11 miles to the gallon Otherwise 13. With it being an automatic, there was no way I could economise at all. It was however a door opener. Wherever I went you was treated with a certain amount of respect. I had the car for about 4 years. It was long enough for me. It certainly made me realise that you need plenty of money to own a car like that.
Anyway with me not having to spend money on Freddie, I found that I could manage well without doing too much work. Mind you with the miners going on strike and eventually the closure of the mines, trade was certainly a lot less. Luckily though, inflation during the last few years was in double digits. With my rent being held, costs of food was going up and the profit was good. I needed less staff and I found out that I was making just as much profit with less work and less staff. Also I was only doing bread rolls for the restaurant . I was doing all the baking of pies though. The profit was there with me doing them. I used to make steak pies. I would get a tin of stewing steak. ( I bought them by 10 case lots) Get a 12" tin plate and put pastry on the base, spread the meat out and cover with pastry. When baked I would serve up at 6 portions. It cost me in meat and pastry about £1.20 so 20p each portion. I can not recall just how much the meals were charged but I guess £1. 75 so you can see the profit margin was good. It is a shame that more people do not do this sort of thing now. It is so much better and so much cheaper than buying a ready made pie. I used to sell lots and over many many seasons too.
Anyway I could not wait for the season to end. In September, Ray and I went to play golf. we played most days during the autumn and winter months. It was ages before I broke the 100 barrier for the first time, it did not bother me as much as Ray. Eventually I began to get a little better and by the start of 1985 season had got a handicap. 28. Yes 28 shots.
In May, I went to play in the early evening with Ray, some members were a player short. Ray suggested I go and play with them. It was a competition, I did not know much how to go on but I went round in 88 shots, less my 28 handicap. Tghat meant I went round in a nett 60. I won the competition. I was immediately dropped 4 shots. So now I was off 24.
This was it though. as I did not play again until September 1985. Ray had now started another business, found another woman, which I was pleased for him, so he was not going to play a lot of golf from now on. This I was little sad because he enjoyed his golf and his woman wished him to carry on playing golf. But that is life. More next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment