Wednesday 9 June 2010

A new Lease

So entered 1979. As I said before, it was my intention to try to get a longer lease. Well I met with the Landlord. Made this suggestion. I wished to have a 10 year lease fixed rent but I would upgrade the place. Firstly installing modern windows upstairs, installing central heating and converting 2 room s into a flat. I would also pay for the costs of a new lease. Surprisingly enough, this was agreed. I could not wait to get it finalised. When it was done, I arranged to have new windows fitted, not the best but good enough. I then with Freddie knocked two rooms into one large flat and when it was done had central heating installed. I was happy with the deal I had done. Mind you, I did not realise just how good a deal it was. remembering that foe the next few years inflation was in double digits. My rent was fixed at £1000 a year for the next 10 years. Yes I had to replace windows and central heating plus the alterations to make a flat. I still knew I had made the right decision.
Trade was also good and I managed to purchase more equipment. About this time, Freddie who was still at college, failed his exams and was refused entry back the following Autumn. I decided that we must do something else to supplement my income. I decided to bake my own bread rolls selling bread, cakes pies and rolls etc. to the general public. It was a success but it was beginning to take toll on my health. In the summer, it was 7 days a week and in the winter, although it was quiet in the week at week ends it was hectic.
The situation got no better, but in 1983 a guy came in and asked me if I knew anything about microwave ovens. I called Freddie and said to him just go and he will show you all you need. If there is anything you want to know and he can not help you, just ask me.
At Easter he was let down by a baker so asked me if I would supply him. I readily agreed, we soon became very good friends. I was still purchasing equipment. I could see that I would not be able to supply all who wanted my bread rolls. I had only told Freddie this around October 1983, I informed him that we had firm orders for at least 100 dozen bread rolls that was without any othe orders. I then ordered another lot of equipment which cost me in excess of £3000 when Freddie came and told me that he had decided to leave. I was not sorry, however I was a little angry, I informed him that he knew he was going to leave and he let me spend all that money on equipment. I decided there and then to close the bakery department. I wrote to Customs and Excice and deregistered for VAT. Sold the equipment for less than half what it had cost me just a week or so before. This was just after Christmas in 1984. I then had a few weeks rest, I felt a lot better for that. My friend who I had helped with the microwave, he was called Ray, he then had split up with his wife came every day to see me. Another friend then suggested that we take up golf. Ray informed him that he had been a member of a golf club in Derbyshire. The guy arranged for us to have the proposal forms which he had them proposed, seconded so that all we had to do was to go to the Golf Club and pay. This we did on Wednesday the day after May Day 1984. So now, for the first time in my life, I was about to do something that I had always wanted to do but would not neglect my business. Let play commence. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment