Wednesday 16 June 2010

So what of now.

As you can see I have bought my skills of my catering carreer to my own home. I have made my own bread ever since I have lived here, that is over 17 years. I am pleased as to how they look and I hope you agree with me that they look professional. These photos were taken immediately they were taken out of the oven. I have an ordinary domestic oven. It is a Canon LPG oven as I am not on the natural gas area. I make up 1.lb of strong plain flour. I think that is approx. 420grms. I add a teaspoon of salt a small amount of olive oil. About a thimble full only. It only gives a little moisture. Yeast about 2 onz. app 50grms. It is not essential that you have an exact amount of yeast. I use fresh yeast whenever possible, however dried yeast will suffice. One sachet should do. I also use 1 teaspoonful of dough softener. This can be obtained from Claybrooke Mills. They are on the internet. I then put 10 fluid ounces of tepid water in a jug, approx 280 ml. Pour it into my food mixer. I have a Kenwood stainless steel mixer. I then add ingredients and turn on the mixer. It is important that you pour water in first. Perhaps not pouring all of the water in leave just a little. It is not possible to say exactly how much water to use as different flours and even different weather makes a difference. When it is mixed, I guess after 1 minute, turn the mixer on speed 2 for a further 2 minutes. Look to see if the dough is nice and soft. The softer it is the better your bread should eventually be. Now let it rest for at least 30 minutes or until it has doubled in size. The longer it takes the better the bread will eventually be. When it has doubled in size, again switch on the mixer and turn it to speed 2. Again leaving it on for 2 more minutes. When the time is up, take dough out of the mixer. I then proceed to knead the dough for a minute or two to get the feel of the dough. If I am making loaves, I divide the dough into 2 equal parts, knead one then make it ino a shape as if you are making a swiss roll. Roll the dough to a shape, fit it in a 1.lb loaf tin then put it in a proover to proove. I have made a prooving cabinet, it is just a cardboard box, fitted over the oven top. I then get a saucepan and fill it with water, turn a gas hob on and let the steam help them prove. Turn the oven on, I have mine set at regulo 6 or 7 no higher. When the bread has risen sufficiently then bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. They should be done by then, if you think they are not, just give them another 3 minutes maximum. If you wish to make rolls as I have also pictured, then when you take the dough out of the mixer. divide the dough into 14 portions. It is not easy to start with so perhaps you should weigh them. Then get one in each hand. make circular motions with your hands until the bread forms a ball. Do this with all the rolls. Then get a rolling pin and roll them to about 1/2 inch thickness makin them as round as you can. I have a large baking tray that I can get 8 on it, I also have a small tray that holds 6. I am lucky, I have a double oven so that I cook both of them at the same time, 6 in the small oven and 8 in the larger oven. They take about 12 minutes to cook. It depends on the heat but do not leave them in longer than 15 minutes. If you do, they will tend to dry out and will not be moist. Hope that is clear to anyone who wants to bake bread. It is a very cheap way of making your own bread. Supermarkets strong plain flour is good enough and a lot cheaper than the proprietry brands, I find no difference in the taste at all. More about me and my life as it is now soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment