Thursday 16 September 2010

Hospital and other things


As promised I now show photo of marrow. I did not mention it but the postman who is a nice young man told me that he gets his marrows ripe. they will store then for some time. He then uses the inside, not as I and most do as a vegetable either steaming or boiling but as a roast round any joint of meat. I remarked to him that the outer skin would be very hard, he told me he uses a carving knife. I suggested that he might use a bread knife as it has a serrated edge. I don't think I will try this new method though.
Now to other things. I duly went to hospital today as an outpatient. My appointment was for 8.30am. I have never been there before that early. Anyway I got there at 8.20am. To my surprise the place was locked up and in darkness. I saw a nurse go in the side door so I asked her what time the outpatients department opened. She told me 8.30am. I then informed her that my appointment was for that time. She just told me that perhaps they would open a little early. No hope. At precicely 8.30 a worker opened the door and I then booked in. I did not have to wait long to see my consultant. I was a little disappointed with the outcome but that is life.
When I left hospital about 9.00am I went to see my Italian friend. He showed me his garden and greenhouse. I was a little surprised to see that his grapes were a little larger than mine although they are the same strain. Mind you his vine is so much thicker than mine. I hope that I will have a better year with them next year. They are getting sweeter though. My Italian friend informed me that in October they are at their best. I will wait and see. On leaving I went to see my friend at the Kiosk. He had only just arrived and for the 2 preceeding days had not bothered to open. I did not stay there long. I did take him some runner beans though. I told him that the forecast was not good for the afternoon. It was not and from noon time there were regular heavy showers.
When I arrived home, I went and watered the greenhouse and polytunnel, noticed that some tomatoes were ready, picked some, also a few beetroot a bunch of grapes and with some runner beans took them round next door. They were pleased but I suggested that this might be the last of the produce for the year. We will wait and see. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment