Thursday 30 September 2010

Gas men commeth

Well the gas man came yesterday around 11.15am. It was a cold dull and wet day, he was a very nice man and talkative, He did not stop at all. Firstly he covered all over the place with dust sheets and started to dismantle the old boiler. This was a heavy boiler about 40kg. He eventually managed to dismantle it, then went into the garage, fetched the new boiler. A Worcester Bosch supposed to be one of the best sorts around. He had such a lot to do, I asked him if he wished to have a cup of tea. He readily agreed, mind you he didn't stop at all. At one point I saw him coming in from his van with a round of bread in his hand. I had to grin. Well after several hours, he had more or less done what he could do for the day this included having the new boiler working. He then went on the computer. Not an exciting scene, bad connection, also very slow, while he was on the computer his supervisor called in to see how things were progressing. I told him he hadn't stopped at all. Eventually the supervisor went away but he told me he was O K as he was just a stand in. He then told me that he had started work at 7.30am. This was travelling from his home to his first job, he then told me he didn't expect to get home before 7.00pm. He certainly didn't make it home by then. He actually left mine at 6.30pm and it was to take him 90 minutes. He had arranged before he left, an electrician to call today before 9.00am and he would be here at 9.00am. When on his computer he had to put my other LPG appliances I had, a gas cooker and a gas fire. He then proceeded to check my fire. Bad news, it was not working properly. He suggested that he thought my liner where the fumes are supposed to go was blocked. He told me that almost certainly it would be cobwebs. He has told me what to do and was kind enough to leave a few smoke bombs. My friend will come and have a look to see what he can do. Suffice to say it will not be used again until it is safe to do so.
Today was just as different to yesterday, almost unbroken sunshine and very warm. I went out the front and started to clear a few weeds from my driveway, looking for the gasman who was the electrician. Yes it sounds funny but he does work for British Gas. Luckily I saw him and suggested where he parked his van as the gas man doing the fitting would be here and his van was a lot larger and I did not want him to be blocked in. This was about 8 45 when he arrived. It was not as straight forward as he though, so much so that it was almost 12.30pm when he left. Mind you I has very impressed with what he had done. In the meantime the gas man was going at it not stopping again. He told me that he was soaked to the skin when he got home, somewhere near 8 30pm. He went and checked everything too and made sure that all was working to his satisfaction. As with the electrician, everything had to be just so. To be honest, I am so pleased that I chose British Gas to install the appliance, yes I could have had it done cheaper, but certainly no where near as good. He eventually left me at about 1.15 pm. I now wait to see if my gas bill will be any cheaper. It certainly looks much nicer than the old one. It did me a good service though for around 12 years and was reliable. Well that's today over with. See what tomorrow brings. The forecast is not good. My friend is off to Newark. U.K . Something to do with Amaetur Radio and electronics. He taught Morse Code so goes to these shows generally once a year. Otherwise he would probably be here messing around with my fire. Will keep all who are interested informed. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment