Monday 6 September 2010

Plenty of veg.

Well once again the week end has gone. It turned out to be nice but very very windy. I think I mentioned it but I was offered lots of plums. Typical, over the last few years I could not get many plums at all. To get ovet this about 6 years ago I bought my first plum tree. A couple of years later I bought another plum tree. This year my Early Laxton has been laden with fruit, so much so that today, I went and picked over 7lb of fruit that is more than 3 kilos. Also the runner beans have become so plentiful after the recent rains. I have given my neighbours all they require but still had lots left.
I decided to go to have my haircut today and as I went to the barbers I passed a fairly new fruit and veg shop. I have noticed it before and the produce always looked very fresh and nice. Anyway after having my hair cut, incidentally he only charged me £3. I was very surprised as it is generally £5. for adult and £3.50 for pensioners. Anyway when I left after about 45 minutes which I incidentally read about Wayne Rooney and the £1200 hooker, I called in to the veg shop and asked them if they would like some runner beans. They seemed to be nice and said yes but wanted to give me some money I of course refused. They then told me that the family had a smallholding in Old Leake. They showed me a few things and made a comment on the latest plums. They were dark. To be honest I thought they were Marjorie Seedlings but they seemed to think they were not English plums. I informed them that I would return tomorrow.
When travelling home I decided to pick a few plums and take them with the runner beans. I was surprised just how many and how quickly I picked the fruit. I then went back to town and pulled up on a double yellow line and went in and gave them the fruit and veg. To be honest, I did that for two reasons, firstly they were disappointed at the plums and secondly the weather for tonight and early tomorrow morning is not good. Very strong winds and heavy rain. That is my good deed for today. To be honest I would sooner give food away than throw it away, so I was very pleased. My friend will be here on Thursday so there will be none left after he has gone home. Then towards next week end next door will need some vegetables so things are good for tthis week. No need to worryabout getting rid of surplus vegetables. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment