Monday 18 October 2010

Glass of sherry part 1.

For the next two blogs, I will tell you how I was given a glass of sherry.
My parents lived in the same town as me but as my father was about to retire, they decided to return to their home town. Within a week he unfortunately had died, so sudden it was but it was the way for him to go, however my mother was devastated. Well about a month after he died she asked me if I could go to the local bank in my town and get my late fathers money out of the bank. I of course told her I would go to the bank and see what I could do.
I duly made an appointment to see the Bank Manager, on the appointed day I arrived and the Manager met me and invited me into his office. The next thing startled me, he said,"At last we meet, I have been waiting for so long to meet you, I have heard so much about you." Seeing I was at a loss he then informed me that his son worked for me and had often talked about the place and things that happened. I then informed him that his son only told me that he worked in a bank, not that he was the Manager. He then asked me to call him Harold, I naturally told him to call me by my christian name. He then enquired what I wished to see him about. I informed him that my late father had an account with his bank, a sum of about £95. I then asked him if I could withdraw the sum for my mother. He told me that this was not the usual way to do it but as he more or less knew me through his son said that he would arrange it there and then. He went to the door asked someone to come in. I gave him the passbook and he left. Harold then said to me,"Let's have a glass of sherry." I was surprised but agreed, he went to his safe, unlocked it and bought out a bottle of sherry. I can assure you it was not the cheap stuff, also it was unopened. He broke the seal and proceeded to get two glasses and pour a generous portion to both glasses. We passed the next 10 minutes or so talking pleasantries, eventually the man who had the passbook knocked on the door, was invited in and handed the book and contents to me. He then left and Harold and I spent a further few minutes together before I made my excuse and left, never to go into that bank again. I still smile when I think of it. Most people who are offered a glass of sherry are asking for a loan of large proportions, here was I asking to close an account. I can assure you that this was true. I have, today my best friend here for a few days with his wife. I only today told him the story. He found it incredible. The next time I was offered a glass of sherry was totally different. It is a long story which I hope to tell tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Giving away free drinks to people who aren't even customers? ? ?

    That's the sort of behaviour which led to us having to bail out the flippin' banks last year!

    OK - but don't free drinks always taste better?!

    ReplyDelete