Thursday 28 October 2010

Mundane matters

Now back to the present.
Tuesday morning it was cold and damp, I went to get my pension, called into the local supermarket to get milk, bananas etc. then across to the newsagents to pick up my weekly T V paper. When I left the shop, it was only raining slightly so I decided to go for a hair cut about 3 miles away. the barber had been on holiday to Mexico for a fortnight so my hair certainly needed cutting. There were a few waiting so I was in there about 45 minutes. When it was my turn he told me about his holiday, apparently it was an all in holiday in a complex in Mexico. He told me that even to have a drink you never touched anything, when your glass was empty, it was automatically topped up. Nothing was spared, he told me that one day they had lobster with champagne, he did say though that the day trips were expensive, even so he told me that he spent over £5000 .00p As long as you enjoyed it I remarked, he said it was great and wanted to go again but not next year. I guess it was just too expensive and he had to save up. Anyway I duly paid, £3.80 which I guess is about the cheapest haircut in England.
I went then to the local butcher, I have not used him before, I went in and a woman was buying some cooked ham. When it was my turn I asked for 6 slices of cooked ham. It really looked great the woman who was serving me cut off all the excess fat before weighing it. I remarked that she must have known I could not eat much fat. She told me that she did this for each customer as her Mother was a diabetic. I said that I too was a diabetic. I then asked if she had any loins of pork, she wanted to know if I wished a joint, I said no I wanted boneless loin chops. What she said next surprised me. She looked at what was in the window display then told me that they were no good for me as they had too much fat on them. Away she went and after about 3 minutes came back with a butcher holding a complete loin over his shoulder. It was the leanest loin I have ever seen. I thought I had better order a few, so I asked for 12, while the butcher was cutting them I asked if they had any English Lambs liver, yes was the reply so I asked for 4 small slices. The pork loins were duly given to the woman who wrapped them and put them in a bag, with the ham and liver, I asked for 8 links of sausage, the best quality, I then asked if she had any best end of neck of Lamb(crown roast) the reply was we have no lamb until Thursday. I then asked if she had any sirloin steaks, again the reply was no, not until Thursday. I was surprised but she told me that until recently they had 2 deliveries a week Tuesday and Thursday, now it was only Thursday, so had to get used to ordering enough. I thanked her for looking after me, left then called at the local veg shop. It was the one I gave some plums to but they did not recognise me, thank goodness. I picked up a January King cabbage, a large one and asked the lady how much, 50p was the reply. I was delighted so off I went back home. I weighed the cabbage, it was 2kg just over 4 lb. Value for money I would say.
As for the ham, it is fantastic, the lambs liver was beautiful, the sausage is not bad at all. I had liver and sausage yesterday and today. Before anybody comments, liver is dreadful once it has been frozen, hence the 2 meals in 2 days. Tomorrow I will have roast ham. I have put all the pork in the deep freeze so will not be having them for some time but if they taste anything like they look, they will be nice. That's it for today. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Lambs liver, as fresh as possible, sliced really quite thin, cooked in a little margarine over a fairly high heat for a short time so that it does NOT go grey or dry up! Pete likes his in the pan for about twice as long!

    We usually have it with bacon (dry cured with no added water, on the rare occasions we can get that).

    Delicious!

    ReplyDelete