Thursday 7 October 2010

Lovely day

Today has been one of the nicest days in ages, warm and sunny, the temperature around 21c much higher than the average for early October. Unfortunately I did not have much time to enjoy the weather. First my friend came and eventually sorted the flue on the gas fire. Well we think we have cured it. This took us about 2 hours. I think I mentioned it but if not, well here it is again. A couple of days ago my clock which is battery operated started to lose time. I naturally thought it was the battery that was getting low. I changed it but the same thing happened. I then changed the battery for a third time, just in case it was a faulty battery. No joy at all. In fact the clock just stopped altogether. My friend took a look and thought the internal mechanism had ceased to function, but thought a replacement interior could be bought. I hope so as it was bought by my 2 sisters as a house warming over 17 years ago. I have looked after it with loving care ever since. My friend remarked how pristine it looked.
This morning I turned my radio on. God almighty what a noise. I always have a daily news programme on, this was on full volume and nothing like my news channel. I tried in vain to change the channel but to no avail. It is a digital radio with several pre set channels. This has happened before but not to the extent that it was impossible to alter the channel at all. I bought it about 4 years ago from Lydl, it is a smart looking radio. I hope that something can be done. We live in hopes. It will be at least 14 days before I will know.
After an early lunch my friend left because he knew I had an appointment to have my flu jab. It was at 2.17pm in the local village about 10 minutes away. I duly arrived at the new venue. We have never been there before, and I was about 10 minutes early. I saw first a woman who I see regular at the surgery, she had a few words with me and informed me that the flu jab included swine flu too. Then I registered with a young woman and was then greeted by another woman who told me to see the nurse who was waiting. I of course knew her well, again we had a few words and I told her this was the best organised flu jab I had ever been on. She was pleased. After the jab I asked her where to go. I was surprised when she told me to go into the next room where tea and coffee was being served. I didn't believe her for one minute but to my surprise several people were in fact drinking and there was a large plate of assorted biscuits. I did not stay though but went out straight away. By the time I was in my car starting to go back home the time was just 2.17. The time I should have had my jab. I found it almost unbelievable as each year until this year the queues would be about 40 deep and out in the open and the time between arriving and having the flu jab would be in excess of 30 minutes. I used to call it a cattle market. This was brilliant. I hope that next year will be equally as good.
As the weather was so nice, prior to going for my flu jab I decided to put my washing machine on thinking that when I got home, it would be ready to peg out. I actually had to wait for about 30 minutes, they did not dry completely but enough to iron my tea towel and a few odds and ends. I changed my bed too hoping that the weather would be good tomorrow. Unfortunately this is not so, but Saturday and Sunday is promising so I will wait. That is enough of rubbish from me for now. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment