Thursday 14 October 2010

Poor weather

Over the last few days the weather has been dull and cool. Living on the east coast it is also breezy. I was therefore surprised when I took a cloer look at my tomatoes, primarily in the polytunnel. I think I mentioned it but I had a tomato grow in the corner of my polytunnel, I do not know how it got there but decided to let it grow. I did not stake it up or bother with it until it started to show signs of flowering. I then watered it regular. It certainly had lots of tomatoes on it and today, I picked over 1 kg off the plant. All ripe and there are plenty of green ones on so if the weather stays good, more will be picked. Unfortunately for me, they are not the type as I have dentures and the seeds get under my plate. I grow plum tomatoes, they have very few seeds inside them. Generally they are grown for making pasta sauce.
I grow a few cherry tomatoes and I knew that I had several ready so I decided to take a few round to my neighbour. She was pleased and insisted I had another lot of eggs. I then asked her if the pigeon racing season was over. She confirmed that it was over and that her partner had arranged for somebody to dispose of a lot of birds. I only suggested that perhaps they could put them in an auction. I just thought what a waste.
I am still getting the odd runner bean and I mean odd. Today I picked 4, there are a few more on and weather permitting will get another feed or two. I also went tonight to pick a few beetroot, I have done well with them but the late setting was not really a success. Still I have had a taste. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment