Friday 15 October 2010

Unpleasant surprise

I didn't mention it yesterday but something unpleasant happened.
I had just dished up my main meal, pork chop with apple sauce, potatoes, runner beans and marrow, when the phone rang. I thought sod it, had I started to eat I would have ignored it but as I had just dished up I decided to answer it. A voice on the other end asked to speak to me, I told the man I was the person. He then asked me some security questions which I answered correctly. I then told him to stop for a minute as I was going to put my meal in the oven.
Then the questioning started. Well first he asked me if I had ordered a ticket for the cinema. I told him I had not. He then told me that he thought my credit card had been compromised. I was amazed and told him so. I informed him that I had not used my card for about 3 months, and then I only occasionally use it. He then asked me several questions regarding purchases, to be honest I could not remember most of them. One was about a sports shop in USA another was a grocery store in China and the final one was for another cinema ticket in I think London. I told him that I had authorised no transactions of that nature. He then informed me that they would be contacting the police. He went on to say, they expected some sort of fraud was attempted as they noticed I did not use my card too often. He also told me that I was not liable for any expense and that the only product that had been authorised was the first cinema ticket. All the rest had been declined. He then asked me to destroy the card and a replacement would be sent out in about 3 weeks.
What disappoints me is this. I am careful with any invoice and old ones are put through a cross shredder, I always take my name and address off any mail and shred them. I try to leave nothing that is of use to anybody. I mentioned that I tried to be careful to the man from the credit card company. He just informed me that they were getting more and more professional at this sort of thing. Oh well, have a nice week end. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. I had this happen to me about a year ago. The bank covered the losses and changed the card number.

    Pete had it happen when a large bill from an American company he didn't know came up on his statement. Same thing happened - bank covered the payment and re-issued his card with a new number.

    it's a sad fact of internet trading - at least I think that's how it went wrong for Pete and for me.

    Hope it turns out OK for you.

    ReplyDelete