Friday 22 October 2010

Nothing boring I hope

Today, my friend came and finally fixed the gas fire, he fitted some aluminium backed tape to seal the flue, he also mended my clock and then fitted my new sign to the outside wall, I say new, I have had it since I moved here 17 years ago. My best friend who was here this week had a man who was very good with his hands make it. Unfortunately the man is no longer in this world.
Now an update on my securities(shares). I originally had 5 they were Severn Trent, United Utilities, both of these I have now sold. National Grid, Aviva and Vodafone. The proceeds of the two sales made a small profit, not enough to buy a car, but I am looking into the purchase of a new car.
I do not think I have mentioned it before, but for the last couple of times I have bought cars over the internet. Really this was sort of forced on me. When I wanted to purchase my last car, a Peugeot 207 G.T. I went to a Peugeot dealer. I had a Hyundai coupe 2 ltr. It cost me just over £16,000 20 months prior. I unfortunately had an operation and found it very hard to get in and out of the car as it was a sports type. Well I went to see this rep. A nice mature guy, I told him what I was after and he told me they did not have one in stock but the only thing he could tell me was that it went like"Shit off a shovel". He asked me what I had got to part exchange. I laugh now but was not happy at the time. He looked at the car and remarked what a lovely colour it was, then said something like."I can't even think to give you a price for that, you see we will not be able to sell it here and all we will do is sell it on. I will have to ask the boss." Out came the proprietor, took a cursory glance and said the allowance would be about £8500. Now bear in mind the car I wished to purchase was over £14,500 and I was going to have leather seats the cost was another £700. The rep was a little embarrassed and told me he would ring me later at my home and see what he could do. True to his word he did ring but with no improved offer. So I went online. I eventually got another £500 trade in although the company did not generally do that sort of thing. I also saved around another £1500 on the purchase. The only draw back is that the cars are what is know as pre registered. This means that I was the second owner although the mileage was delivery mileage only.
Well I am now looking to change my car, I will keep all informed as to what is happening. It will be interesting to see just how much I will save. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. I've met this aluminium tape for sealing gay flues before and, as long as you only dust the fire feather-light (!) you'll be OK. You don't want to be dropping off to sleep after dinner one night and not waking up because of carbon monoxide poisoning!

    Don't know anything about cars, though. They are strictly function a to b machines for me. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete