Monday 11 October 2010

Something different

Today I will tell you something different. As all will know, well those who read my blog, if there are any regular readers, I usde to have my own business. The last of these was quite different to my other one. This was more relaxing, the only drawback was that being 7 days a week in the summer months it was also a long day. I was well over 55 when I started. I used to get up at the kiosk about 8.30am.It took the best part of 30 minutes to get there from home, I used to leave anywhere from 5.30pm to about 6.30pm. So by the time I got home, the day was over and ir was soon to think about sleep.
I certainly enjoyed working up there though. On more than one occasion, I would get up at about 5.00am have a shower and something to eat then go into the garden and look after my vegetables, flowers and get rid of the weeds. Sometimes I would get carried away and forget the time so would have to move sharply to get opened. I would sometimes forget to shave. If anybody asked me I just said it was designer stubble.
I guess that the last year I was there I realised that it was time to move on. I had 2 such occasions that made my mind up for me. The first was when a few young boys came up to me and asked me if I had any skittles. I looked at them and thought for a moment then suggested that surely they could make some skittles to have some sort of game. They were all about 10 and very nice, pointing out that skittles were a sort of sweet. I laughed and thanked them so much for informing me.
The second was different. This woman came into the kiosk and asked me if I had any fishing nets. I replied that indeed I had they were 75 pence each and if they did not serve their purpose then her money would be returned. The woman looked a little peeved and told me that the shop down the road was selling them for 49 pence. I naturally informed her that it looked as if she would have to go back to the shop down the road. The reply was not what I expected. Her actual reply was this. "Well he says they are 49 pence each but he hasn't got any left. I immediately replied "Well my dear if I had none left mine would have been 40 pence each." Anyway she eventually bought a fishing net for her grandchild. I thought it was not good of me to say a remark to her like that, although at the time I was quite pleased that I thought of a retort like that. I think tomorrow I will talk about how I got my driving licence.

No comments:

Post a Comment