Monday 7 March 2011

Backache

Oh well, I finally think I have Fibrositis. What you may ask is the reason I say this. I have tried to get better under my own ways, mainly by using a hot water bottle and heating my back most of the day and night. With some success may I add but I only seem to be able to put it in the background. Tomorrow anyway I go for blood tests and BP test also. I feel sure that my BP will be high so I will NOT use any heat tonight just to see if it is worse in the morning. Now to the reason I think I have Fibrositis.
It must be well over 35 years ago I had a dreadful backache almost overnight. I went to the local Doctors Surgery. It was a small place with about 16 chairs a hatch where you booked in with the Receptionist and then there was his surgery, again a very small place. Anyway I arrived at about 9.15am the Surgery was open at 9.00am but the Doctor very rarely arrived before 9. 15. The place was full and I had to stand outside. Soon after I had booked in a car drove up. It was the Doctor. He walked up to the door, saw me and uttered "Christ all bloody mighty" but only loud enough for me to hear. Eventually it was my turn and when I went in I told him that there was only one other person after me. He informed me that he didn't mind seeing me at all as it was a rarity to see me and when I went to see him there was good reason. He then said this.. "If they made every patient pay just £1 to visit the surgery there would be very few here waiting to see me." Well I told him what was wrong. He smiled broadly then told me that he could soon fix me and wrote a prescription, told me to take it to the Chemist and informed me that I would be right as rain in 2 or 3 days . He was right. I liked him, he was very much down to earth, shirt sleeves, never looking like a G.P. Unfortunately a few years later he had a stroke and died. Anyway I took the prescription to the local Chemist. An independent Chemist. He told me to come back in about an hour and they would be ready for me. I duly went back and he came out with a tin. He just said. "Here you are, I've left them in the tin they came in, there are a few extra tablets so that if you get a bad back again you will have no need to go back to the Doctor as there are plenty. The tin was a metal top and base with cardboard sides like an old Birds Custard tin.
This was perfectly true, I know that in those days no payment was needed when you were given medicine but I still wonder if anybody else experienced anything like that. By the way, I think they were Geigy tablets, large and I think I kept the extra tablets for several years before disposing them. Anything like that would never happen today. Mind you the Chemist was an old fashioned character.
By the way, today has been sunny for most of the day, more about weather tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Many times during my almost daily basketball playing days I would wrench my back making a sudden move and hardly notice any discomfort. But the next day and several days afterward I could barely get out of bed in the morning and had to sit in chairs without arms because the only way I could stand up was to get out of the chair sideways. I would otherwise be fine. But time always did a great healing job and I was back on the court ready to do it again!

    I hope your back will also respond to the passage of time and a few pain pills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The head of the local doctors' practice where I lived for many years could have made a fortune if he'd been in private medicine - and all through 'busted backs'! (or so he said!)

    I think one injury like that can revisit, often many a time, when we're older. Trouble is that we still take stupid risks and often upset old injuries simply by being thoughtless.

    Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete