Friday 25 March 2011

A Phone call

I could not get online yesterday because of my young friend, well he is over 50, rang me. He used to work for me years ago and now lives in Devon. I have NO problems at all compared to him.
He told me in late November that he was moving to a 4 bedroomed house as his 2 daughters were needing more space. He hoped that the move would be in early December as they were going to USA again in December over Christmas and New Year.
Well just before they went on holiday, the home was ready, well supposed to be but gave instructions and expected all to be well when he got back. No such luck. To start, there was no cooker, and the electrics were not connected. He found an electrician on site and managed to get him but he charged him £5 for every connection he made. He did however have now full power. He contacted the builder and demanded the cooker, one came a couple of days later but was smaller and not of the quality it was supposed to be. The kitchen units were fitted badly, no carpets and the wardrobes in each bedroom were there but had not been assembled and fitted. He told me that they are just about settled but it is 3 months since they had moved in, mind you the solicitors are involved so heaven alone knows what will happen.
Now to me. Yesterday I went to THURLBY Motors to have my windscreen inspected. The man there was one of the rudest men I have met in ages. Tact was not in his vocabulary. He just looked and said in a condesending tone that it was definitely a stone chipping that caused the damage. I told him that it had been 2 weeks since I first reported this. He reluctantly admitted that he had become involved too late. He asked his colleague if the photos that Alison took, who incidentally was not there, the reply was I think not I think they have gone. I told him that I had taken photos. He then said he was going to take another photo. I said that it was getting worse. He informed me that naturally it would get worse, when frost gets on the windscreen it will help it deteriorate. I immedately told him that my car was always in the garage unless it was being used. He then got on about Autoglass. He told me that they should have repaired the windscreen as I wanted to pay. I wanted to pay? I was amazed at that statement. He added that Autoglass should have done the job as they were getting paid to do the work. To be honest, I think principle is another word that is alien to him. He took a photo which to be honest looks entirely different to the ones I took. I will try to show the photos on my next blog. It was a decent photo though as he took the car under cover in I think it was the repair shop.
He told me that he was going to get on to utoglass and if they wished to take it up further with Vauxhall he could because they were far bigger than Autoglass. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. It reminded me of when I was very young, two boys would fight and argue, the losing boy would then say. I will get my dad to beat up your dad because he is bigger than you.
Anyway I decided I had heard enough so I just left.
His colleague whose mane was Jo rang me up about an hour later and asked if Autoglass had been in touch with me. I said no which seemed to take her aback and she said she would ring me back later. She didn't but this Mr. Tim Broughton did. He shouted to me"Has Autoglass called you yet? I have given them what for." I told him that they had just contaced me and I did not like his attitude and neither did the manager of Autoglass. He then started to act a little more reasonable but the damage has been done. I will be reporting the whole incident to Vauxhall.
The manager told me that he would send a man down today, which he did and fit a new windscreen in. Unfortunately it wasn't the one who cmae before because I wanted to ask if there had been a deterioration in the windscreen.
Mind you, I have always been told that if you can't make friends don't make enemies.
But on a serious note. Surely Thurlby Motors, which is a dealership, would never want to alienate a customer, but in my caes, they certainly have. I will NEVER spend a penny there ever. Had they been polite and helped me as I think I shoud have had help, I would have had all my servicing done there. So now it has to date cost me £75 but they will have lost at least £200 of servicing, that is annually.
When the guy took the windscreen off he pointed a few things to me and advised me to photograph them, which I did. He told me that an examination of the windscreen will take place at Grimsby. Whether anything becomes of this I do not know. All I am really interested in is contacting Vauxhall headquarters, because I honestly believe that they have no idea as to what has happened. I can assure you though they will.
Now I wish to hopefully get on with my new windscreen in the car. Wouldn't it be fun if the same thing happened again? Mind you, the man who fitted it told me that this one should be O.K. More soon but not of windscreens though.

1 comment: