Tuesday 1 March 2011

A little more

A little more about my meeting with the man at the dental surgery.
When he came out of the surgery his wife was soon called in. He told me that he had been a month or so earlier and told the dentist that his filling in one of his teeth was loose. The dentist told him it was O K. Now it had fallen out and it had cost him £45.60. I told him that my dentures had cost me £198. He replied that it was not a bad price. I then reminded him that it was 2 weeks pension. He told me that back home(wherever that was)he heard this receptionist tell this man that his new dentures were ready and that there was a cost of £600. He told her he could not afford that much and offered to pay £50 a month. I told him that he must have gone private. He readily agreed. He then told me that all he received was the annual £250 fuel allowance. I told him that I also received that and was greatful for it although it nowhere paid for my winter fuel. He then said his gas and electric for the Christmas quarter was just over £230 . I told him that people on the National Grid did not know just how lucky they were. 60% of my weeky pension was taken by 3 items, Council Tax LPG and electricity. I then told him that the gap between rich and poor was ever growing. I had heard earlier that day that the Railway Drivers were on strike in Wales. They were striking(for 1 day) for better working conditions and an increase in pay. The basic pay of a Driver was £39.000. He then said to me that it was not a bad wage. I told him that it was £750 a week for 4 working days. They would be expected to work occasional Sundays. I told him that with night work and Sunday work most Drivers would be on about £1000 a week. Far different to me as a fireman working 11 day fortnight. Never ever getting more than time and3/4 no matter how long you worked on a Sunday or Bank Holiday including Christmas day. Unfortunately his wife appeared then from the surgery. She looked like thunder. "Come on" she said. He asked her what was the matter. "I must have a tooth out but I can't have it taken out here because the dentist wants to take an Xray and there are no facilities here so we have to make an appointment at Skegness". I remarked that parking was a problem in Skegness. He also pointed out that it was about a 35 mile round trip. All his wife kept saying was. "Come on let's go" so after shaking my hand they left.
Now a little update on the weather. Quite some time ago one of the Natural History programmes stated that during the winter, male chaffinches go east and female chaffinches go west. I have looked ever since long and hard during the winter months and if I have seen 6 female chaffinches that is all. Now these last couple of days, the odd female has appeared so spring must be getting nearer.
By the way, went in the new car to Surgery about 8 miles. Don't know yet where most of the things are but it rides well and will be cheaper to run I am sure. I just got it in time as my Annual Car Tax was due 1st March this year was £180 also MOT was needed another $50 or so, then it needed it's biannual service.
Weather this week is not going to be great, I hope that it soon warms up as I want to get into the garden. Mind you on Sunday, I went and dug some lavender up. It generally goes woody as it gets older. I have had those in situe for several years. Anyway I have ricked my back doing this. My fault entirely, so I am not doing much at all for the next few days. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Oh you poor thing over the bad back!

    You should treat yourself, assuming you can manage to get to the shops or get someone else to go for you, to hot, toasted crumpets - with your choice of just a little best margarine (butter sshhhhh!) and/or cheese or jam or honey.

    Just a little treat to make you feel happier without it piling on the fat and calories!

    Oh yes - we all need to watch these things.

    Now lavender smells nice. What else, if anything, can it be used for?

    ReplyDelete