Friday 18 March 2011

Windscreen News

Now to update on my windscreen.
When I found the windscreen was cracking before my eyes, as soon as i got home I rung the help line, eventually was put through to Autoglass. Once I explained what had happened they suggested I go to Grimsby for them to inspect the damage. I informed them that it was too far. They then asked if a Vauxhall garage was nearby. I told them there was, so they suggested I visit them to see what they would do. The young lass took a photo of the windscreen. So I left and waited.
About 4 days later which included a week end I went back only to be told that the Company told me that it was NOT a stress fracture but stone damage. This didn't surprise me at all although I was convinced it was a stress fracture.
I went home and rung my insurer up. I was told that after the questions I would have to pay the £75 excess charge. I agreed so after questions about the style of windscreen I then paid by debit card and was told that Autoglass would be contacting me. This was on Monday
Within 20 minutes the phone rang and a guy introduced himself as Andy. He asked me a few questions about the windscreen then asked me if the damage was caused by a stone. I told him I was sure this was not the case. Then he told me something that surprised me. He told me that they would NOT fit a new windscreen if the damage was caused by a stress fracture. Asking me my mileage and I told him 300 miles he then said that they had to give a 3 year warranty on the new windscreen and they were not prepared to risk that because the same thing may happen again in another 300 miles. He would however send a man to fit the windscreen if it was a normal break. He gave me a time for the next day of 4 hours.
Well on Wednesday afternoon the guy came. He told me that he had been told to inspect the damage to see if it was a stone that caused the damage or whether it was stress or a faulty windscreen. It didn't take him long, he said he would not be fitting a windscreen as it was stress related and told me to go back to the garage give them the Autoglass telephone number and they would explain the damage to them.
Off I went back to the garage, went in and explained what had happened. The lass asked me how they knew that the damage was not done by a stone. I just said to her experience, they inspect thousands so should know what is what. I told her that I would call again early next week for a definitive answer. So as far as I was concerned that was that.
Early this morning, Friday, Andy rang me from Autoglass enquiring as to how I got on. I told them that I had heard nothing since I saw them on Wednesday afternoon after the Autoglass man had left. I went immediately to the garage. He then told me that he was surprised that they had not agreed to do the work. He told me that they would make money out of doing the job as it was covered by a 3 year warranty. He then informed me that he had cancelled my contract and that a refund of £75 would be given to me.
I told him that I would keep him up to date as to what was happening and I had also given them their telephone number. He told me that NOBODY had contacted them. I am not surprised. I guess I will go early next week and give an ultimatum. The work is done or I shall go to Trading Standards and seek some sort of compensation for the time I have spent trying to get something done. Oh well that is life I guess most things never run smoothly. Of course I will keep all informed as to what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. I own a small business for several years now, and I think this can really help improve my company and expand for the next year.

    windscreen repair bacchus marsh

    ReplyDelete