Monday 14 March 2011

Swansea

More about my windscreen as soon as I have news.
I do not know if I mentioned this but when I purchased the new car I asked the internet company how long it would be before I received my old log book. I think it is called V5C registration certificate.
Well when I sold my Peugeot I duly sent off the part of the log book. I also wrote in a separate letter a note informing them that I was now the owner of the Vauxhall Corsa but would not have the log book for at least 6 months.
Well on Saturday morning I received a letter from DVLA stating that they could not deal with my application for a registration certificate as the current certificate had not been received by them. Enclosed was an application form to register the said vehicle.
I decided to give DVLA a call to see what the problem was as I was only informing them that I was now the legal owner. Oh my god. If anybody has tried to phone DVLA they will know just what a maze it is. First you are given, I think 6 options once you have decided which option is applicable you are then given another 4 options after selecting the one you want, you are then given 4 more options. I pressed the one for me, it then gave the same response 3 times stating that I must apply for an Application for a vehicle registration certificate. This I have already. I just sat there in a stupor. After being on the phone for at lease 20 minutes. I though I would have to go through the whole operation or more likely forget about it. By the way the phone line seemed dead with no dialing tone at all.
All of a sudden a voice, yes an actual voice not an automated voice came and asked me if he could help me. He was very nice and his name was Al. What he told me was enlightening. I explained most of what had happened. He stopped me 3/4 of the way through my explanation. He informed me that several online motor salesmen do this but it was not legal for them to hold on to a registration certificate after it had been sold. He then asked me for my details, checked on his computer and told me that there was nothing on their screen. I then told him that if I applied for a certificate what would happen if they also did this. He just said that it would be their fault and it may throw their system out a little. He then told me to fill the application form in, I then told him that I would tomorrow go and post it in the envelope provided to DVLA by 1st class post. He said it was a good idea.
It was such a nice change talking to someone who was so pleasant and understanding, also explaining all so well. A great thumbs up for DVLA once you managed to find a human being.
Tomorrow I should have news of my windscreen but I don't expect any joy. More tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for real people!

    I suppose that these automated telephone routing devices were originally brought in to save having staffed switchboards trying to decide which department we want but also to stop so many calls being transferred from one extension to another which used to be the bane of phoning large organisations.

    Of course the trouble is that geeks and nurds called things like 'Adrian' and 'Charlene' have programmed the computers and when they did it they hadn't the vaguest idea of why people would phone up or what our reaction would be when we were asked to select and select and select and then, just one more time, to select.

    Al was probably so relieved that you weren't angry and shouting at him!

    ReplyDelete