Friday 6 May 2011

Conclusion

Well the day arrived and for the first time a car arrived, albeit late but it was full when I got in the car. The journey to Lincoln was uneventful, the other two passengers were going to have their eyes tested for cataracts.
On arrival at the reception, nobody seemed to be expecting me. eventually a Doctor came and asked me to go to his office. He asked me what I was doing there. I told him all. He just said that they didn't mind me coming to hospital and something would be arranged.
It was late in the evening when I was assigned a bed, the Nurse told me that the next morning I would be transferred to Queens Medical in Nottingham. I was to be ready from 8.00am. the next day.
Well before I was ready, the new Nurse on duty came to see me, I guess it was about 7.00am. She told me to take everything with me as I would NOT be brought back to Lincoln. She told me that as far as she was concerned, Queens Medical should have arranged all of this. I reminded her that I had the original operation at Lincoln. She also told me that she would NOT be giving or sending any of my medical records. I thought so much for the co-operation between hospitals.
About 8.30am the driver came to pick me up. He immediately told me that he would not be able to take me to the ward as he was running late and had another passenger who he was taking to Nottingham City Hospital. He also told me that he had been told that if at all possible, he was to pick me up after the operation and take me home. He warned me though he would not be able to stay and wait for long.
Well we arrived at Q.M. and he dropped me off. If any of you have been to a large hospital, you will realise just how large the place is. I was very lucky that I did remember the way to the ward, unfortunately with the driver running late I was late also for my operation.
Luckily, I saw the same Nurse who I saw last time, told her what had happened and that if at all possible, could she have me discharged form here. I then told her that I had no medical records. She smiled and told me that she understood, she had kept all relevant details for the last visit and told me that if all went well, she would see that I was discharged from there.
I had to wait about 45 minutes before I went in to have my anaesthetic. Once the operation was done, I went into the recovery room, the Nurse gave me the news that all had gone well and she would arrange that I would be discharged and there was no need for me to make any other appointment.
I was still drowsy when the driver came. He asked me if I was ready, I told him to see the Nurse to make sure I could leave. A couple of minutes later he came back, took one look at me told me that I was allowed to leave but he told me to take his arm, he would carry my gear as he realised I was still a little unsteady. We hurried down to where he had parked the car. He told me he was worried as the wardens are strict, you are only allowed to pick up or drop off patients. There was another passenger in the car, he was going to drop her off at Lincoln, she told him that the warden had been to see her and if the car was there when next he came a ticket would be issued. He helped me into the back seat he told me to sleep and he would wake me when we got home.
That didn't happen because within 10 minutes I was fully recovered and an uneventful journey home took place, trying to work out how many cars ambulances etc, the cost to the NHS would be huge. It must be borne in mind that originally I went in for keyhole surgery for the removal of my gall bladder. Had I not had diabetes and had no blockage, I would have arrived at Lincoln on a Friday morning, had the operation and been discharged Saturday morning.
I must admit, I have had much more than my monies worth with the National Health. More's the pity. I would much sooner say I have never had a penny spent on me by the NHS.
Now no more about health issues. Something different next time.

1 comment:

  1. What an ordeal!!

    It made me think of the old British "Carry On" movies such as "Carry on Nurse" and "Carry on Doctor"; what you went through was equally as bizarre and whacky!

    You did survive, though. So I don't feel too guilty about having several hearty laughs over some of the things that happened.

    ReplyDelete