Thursday 19 May 2011

Eyes tested?

Yesterday morning I managed to get up extra early and so I let the chicken out soon after 7.00am. the reason was that I had an appointment for my eyes to be tested at 9.35am. I always say I have come to have my head examined. I think it would be more appropriate.
Well I arrived in Grantham soon after 9.00am. did a little shopping in Morrisons. They own the complex where Specsavers are situated.
After doing some shopping I arrived a little early. To my surprise I was seen to almost immediately. First thing I had was a glaucoma test and a vision test. After that I was told to sit in the waiting area. Almost immediately a young woman, I think of Indian race who was obviously born in this country and spoke perfect English. She was very very nice, told me her name was Sham for short. She was in no hurry and gave me a complete and thorough examination. I asked her how many years she had to do at University to pass. She told me 3 years then another year doing practical before she was qualified. I asked her if she managed to pass before the student tuition fees were introduced. She told me the first year was free but she had to pay for the other 2 years, but added that it was nowhere as expensive as it is now.
One of the last things she did was take photos of my eyes. I told her that I had the eyes photographed when I went for my annual Diabetic check for any damage to the eyes. She told me that we would also look at the eyes. She then proceeded to explain all and told me that my eyes were fine, yes I had cataracts but they were not serious but my left eye had deteriorated fractionally and she would give me a prescription for variafocals to be slightly stronger but the distance would not be altered. She then told me that she would arrange for a woman to take me back downstairs. This woman was also very very nice. Her name was Tracey. She suggested that if I was ready perhaps I would like to select some spectacles. I immediately informed her that I could not afford much more than £100. She told me that was fine, she told me to sit in the waiting room area and she would work out the best deal for me.
After about 5 minutes, she came and sat down, told me that the best deal was to get frames of the £69 range, then there was a discount for lenses. As I wanted variafocals, they were a little more expensive. So we went to have a look at some frames. I am easy to please and picked one very quickly. She told me that the grand total would be £99. I was satisfied especially as 17 months ago the cost was around 3150 and when I went to D&H. The cost was over £200.
Anyway while she was doing the paperwork, I realised that I had deposited money into my Account so that I could pay by debit card. Unfortunately I have no idea as to the PIN number. I told her this but she told me not to worry. Anyway the lass at the till told me that she would put it through as if I was not present. I was happy. so now I have paid for my spectacles, all I have to do now is wait, they told me it may be 14 days before they are ready.
When I got back home I no sooner had my dinner, incidentally I had smoked cod. my best pal rang saying he would be down to see me within the hour.
Anyway, I will tell more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment