Monday 16 May 2011

A little rain




I know the photos are not good at all but this is the old and new Rose Arch. I managed to save most of the rambling rose and hopefully it will not be too long before it is in flower.

My friend assembled the Arch and sited it. I dismantled the old one, also moved the rambling rose so that he cold site it. I then rearranged the rambling rose. I think it will be O.K.

While I was doing that, my friend was doing a little electric work. We had a later dinner than usual but he did enjoy the meal.

On Saturday, there was a lot of heavy rain showers around. However we managed to only get the tail end of 2. The first one was a little more productive than the second. It started raining about 2.00pm. For the first time in months, there was enough rain for the water butts to catch some water. I went to check to see if there was any water going into my large butt. To my horror, the down pipe to the butt was blocked. This just goes to show just how long we have been without rain here. Well I had to dismantle a lot of the guttering but eventually managed to get the down pipe removed. There were lots of leaves in the down pipe. I managed to clean the pipe, reassembled the guttering and waited for the next rain.

I was so disappointed, the next shower was almost none existent. I checked the other water butt, there was about 2" in the base. Mind you it is lovely and clean as I did give the butt a thorough clean. Now I wait and hope for some rain in the not too distant future.

Now my next door neighbour informed me on Friday morning she was definitely leaving. Next Friday was the completion date, but as she had arranged nothing in advance, the removal man could not move her on Friday, so she will vacate the property on Wednesday.

As it happens the other neighbour is on holiday, she went today so I will have no neighbours for a few days. Nice and peaceful. Mind you, this does not mean I will be doing nothing. the neighbour asked me if I would let the chickens out in the morning and water the plants in the evening. This I do not mind doing. I thought for a minute they were going to ask me to look after the pigeons. They have found someone to do that. It is typical though, for the first time ever, they did very well in a National Pigeon race. She told me that they came second. He corrected her though by telling me that the loft who came first, also came second and third. He told me that the Secretary had rung him up to congratulate him and asked him if he was going to enter for the next 2 big races. He had to inform him that he was going on holiday for just over a week.

I just said to him that it was sods law.

So tomorrow morning I will go and let the chickens out and see if they have laid any eggs, also make sure they have plenty to eat and drink. Oh well we will see what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment