Tuesday 10 May 2011

A few photos


These are the latest pictures of the grape vine. If you zoom then you will be able to see the young grapes beginning to form.


These are peas. Little Marvel. Outdoors they grow to about 2ft to 2.6ft. However in the polytunnel they grow to over 3ft. As you can see they are just in flower. They take as a rule 25 days from flower to full pod, so by the end of May or the first week in June, I should be picking peas.






Now to the only cauliflower I managed to salvage from the ravages of winter. Originally I set about 15 cauliflowers and about 18 cabbages. I set nearly all of them on the south facing side of the polytunnel. unfortunately all were damaged by frost and had to be slung away.

I had 4 cabbage and 3 cauliflowers on the north facing side. I managed to salvage 3 cabbage and 2 of the cauliflowers I had to use as a sort of white broccoli. however, this last one did me proud. I had to pick it a couple of days ago because it was beginning to bend the stem because of the weight. As you can see it weighed just about 4 lb. Also it was beautiful and white.

I have had 2 meals off it and on Friday, my mate is coming to do a little work, I will cook a chicken and give him cauliflower as one of his vegetables. He loves cauliflower. More soon.






1 comment:

  1. I guess you have to take the rough with the smooth in that you lost quite a bit to frost but if you hadn't tried in the first place then you wouldn't have had the excellent produce you did!

    I bet it tasted every bit as good as it looked. Well done!

    ReplyDelete