Thursday 12 May 2011

Re Haircut

Last week I went to have my hair cut. The man next to me was friendly and we struck up a conversation. He eventually told me a lot about himself. He told me that he was a electrical engineer and that he had travelled many countries in connection with his work, Africa and Saudi Arabia being just 2 Countries mentioned.
He then told me that he had retired to Spain and lived there for 4 years. His wife then complained about her missing the Grandchildren, so he told me that he must obey her so he sold up and came back to live in England. He told me he was lucky as he managed to get back the money that he had bought the property for. He then said that he would never put his money again into bricks and mortar. He told me that he looked round and eventually decided to purchase a Log Cabin. He told me that it had cost him I think £88000. A little later though he informed me that he had to vacate the property for 2 months each year. I was a little surprised because almost certainly he would have to pay an annual rent for the Log Cabin was on a Golf and Sports complex.
Why I mention this is that when I was playing golf, a colleague who I played with was a retired Airline Pilot. He started out going to the local Grammar School and when he went into the Air Force he was taught how to fly. On leaving the Services he went to work for BOAC under the Chairmanship of Lord King. He was then a Navigator. When he became a Pilot I did not ask. He told me that in those days all Pilots retired at 55. The perk when retiring was that each year they were issued with 2 1st. class tickets to anywhere in the world subject to them being available . He told me that he had never been refused.
Well his wife and he, himself decided to travel to Australia. With having free travel each year, they decided to purchase a property in Brisbane. He told me that although there was no A/C it faced to sea so it was not too hot. He also told me that there was an underground car park. He told me that this was so important as occasionally there would be a violent thunderstorm with hailstones as big as golf balls and damage was done to many car bonnets and roofs.
I think he had been there during the winter months for about 15 years when his wife eventually informed him that she was no longer prepared to go to Brisbane anymore as she was missing the Grandchildren.
Reluctantly, he too obeyed his wife and put the place up for sale. Incidentally they used to leave the U.K. in late October and return home in early March. I tell you this because he made this observation. He told me that as they had been away for many winters he had forgotten just how low the sun gets in the U.K. in the winter months.
He told me that his wife suggested that they travel to America in the Florida area as it was not too far to travel and could stay in England until early January each year.
I stopped playing golf due to ill health so I do not know the outcome of it all.
It is funny though, 2 different people decided to do as they were told mainly due to their Grandchildren.
Tomorrow my friend will be here, first to do some electrical work and secondly to erect a replacement rose arch. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment