Tuesday 3 May 2011

More about vehicles

Now more about Mr. L. who was 92. First though I must tell what happened next. I know the subsequent news I will write will be hard to believe, but I assure you it is all true.
So the male Staff Nurse left and all that was left in the ward was Mr. L and myself.
Where we were was called a Day Ward, generally people came in for routine operations on a Friday, most left the same day but odd ones were discharged the next day, mind you not me.
Well we were there on our own when suddenly there was a hive of activity. 4 patients came in together with several staff. We were ignored as they went about their work. After a while some Doctors arrived. Well I asked one of the men who seemed to be in charge what was going on. He informed me that they rented the ward on several Saturdays and did routine operations. All of the patients would be discharged later that day and by 5.00pm the place would be empty again. I asked where they came from and he told me Sheffield, although they were a team, it was rare for the staff to be together as most were from different wards at the Sheffield hospital.
Now as most will know, a mid morning drink is served but we received nothing. Mr. L was beginning to get a little thirsty. I told him not to worry, I would go and walk down to the next ward and see what was happening.
When I arrived at the next ward, the Nurse was surprised, she informed me that as far as she knew, nobody was ever in that ward on a Saturday as it was called a Day ward and only operated from Monday to Friday with the last patient being discharged on a Saturday if necessary. I informed her that there was 2 of us and the other gentleman was 92. She told me that no main meal had been organised for lunchtime and all she would be able to supply was sandwiches. This I told her would be acceptable but was it possible to get a hot drink for Mr. L. She told me that she would arrange for a tea trolley to visit us.
When I got back to Mr.L I told him what was going to happen. To try to take his mind off things I started to ask him about his life in general. It was this that made him talk about all his cars he had bought.
First he told me the story of how he managed to buy his first car. He told me that he had done a favour for a man and as a thankyou he asked him if he ever bet horses. He said he did not. Well the man told him that what he was going to tell him he must keep it to himself. He told him that in the Lincoln, which was run at Carholme, Lincoln. He had good information about a horse called Over Coat. If everything went according to plan, it would run very well and he told him to have an ante post bet on the horse. Well when he told me this, I immediately told him that my Father went to see the Lincoln which was run on a Wednesday, each year with his friend. He told me this tale, he saw Prince Monalulu, a well known African tipster. He wore a sort of Caftan and I think they were dyed Ostrich Feathers. His famous cry was "I gotta horse". Punters would buy tips from him. Well my Father heard this. A man down on his luck went to Prince Monalulu and asked him for a tip as he had lost all his money. Prince Monalulu put his arm on his shoulder and just said to him. "Don't forget your overcoat". My Father saw the horse and with his pal had a little on it. Enough to pay for their day out as it won.
Well Mr. L told me that he went to the local bookmaker and whenever he could he would put a little money each way ante post.
Eventually when the day came he had quite a lot of money on the horse. He told me that when it had won, he went and got his money, it was enough to buy a brand new car.
Now I always thought this was about 1948 or so but I went online today, just to make sure of my dates. To my surprise I saw that Over Coat won in 1936, before I was born.
Now Mr. L told me that he decided to run a Taxi service with his winnings. Although he did not go into details, I think he had a successful business, he told me that he joined a Goff Club. This was an exclusive clan in those days. He then told me that he now lived in one room in a bungalow. His Grandson had asked him if he could help him, he told me he told him he could have the bungalow as long as they paid all the outgoings, gave him a Sunday lunch. I think by the way he was talking, his Grandson and his wife, now do not wish him there at all. To be honest, I think his main problem is loneliness. He told me that he has his room and has Sky T.V and all what he wants there.
Well we had sandwiches at lunch, I asked the Nurse who came round to see if we could have a hot meal at teatime. Soon after she came back and told us that we would get some hot meal but did not know what. She also told us that we would get a hot drink in the afternoon.
Teatime came and we did have a meal of sorts. We both had different meals. I know that I had gravy on my meal and Mr. L. did not, that did not go down well with him.
Now once again we were on our own, the ward was emptied just as quickly as it was filled. Mind you, the Nurses gave it a thorough clean before they left.
Mr. L. then slept fitfully on and off for the rest of the day and night.
Now Sunday morning arrived. All of a sudden, the male Staff Nurse appeared. The one who had looked after me and took the drain out of me. He told me that he was going to get me discharged that day, by the way, it was Mothering Sunday. I told Mr. L.that I may be going home but to be honest, I don't think he realised what I had said.
About 10..00am the Staff Nurse came and asked me if I had anybody to pick me up. I asked him if I could use the phone, he readily agreed. I tried to contact my mate but there was no reply. I guess that he was going out as it was Mothers day. He told me not to worry. He rung a taxi company. Yes a TAXI company. he told me to get dressed as there was going to car coming for me. I told Mr. L. and there was tears in his eyes. He knew that once again he was going to be alone. He shook my hands and told me he had been very happy and we had got on so well together.
Soon after a man came, he was a little surly but when he saw me, he told me that he would take my case, by the way, as I had had keyhole surgery I was still full of air and my trousers would not fit.
Anyway the guy, who turned out to be very nice told me that he was not a regular Taxi Driver but had asked his mate if he could work his Taxi on Mothering Sunday. He told me he had done nothing at all so this job was great. He told me that he was paid£40. He then told me his job was a bouncer in a Nightclub. I asked him if drugs were a problem, not to his reactions. He told me the main problem was drunkenness.
Well I got home and thought that this was the end of my troubles regarding my gall bladder.
Not so. I will tell more tomorrow. You will realise just how much I have cost the National Health.

No comments:

Post a Comment