Thursday 28 April 2011

Re. Vehicles

I don't know if I have told this story before. I do not think so, but although my American friend informed me that my blog regarding vehicles had reminded him of something. however I can not take credit really for talking about the vehicles I have had because it was a gentleman in Hospital who told me about his cars he had.
It is a very long story so here goes.
As those who read my blog know I am not 100% healthy. My Consultant at my local Hospital sent me for a MRI scan. Incidentally I have also had a bone scan besides all the normal scans like ultrasound and X.Rays. My consultant wished me to have my gall bladder removed as he thought it would help me. I of course agreed as he has really looked after me from the first day I saw him.
Anyway in November 2005 I was summoned to my local Hospital for a Pre Op. medical. To be honest, It was not as I would have expected, nothing great and intensive at all. Upon finishing the Surgeon who was to perform the operation came into the Nurse's private room, took one look at the results from my MRI scan just said. "Hu. Lincoln"and left. I remarked to the Nurse that I presumed that I would not be having keyhole surgery. She agreed.
In late February 2006 I was summoned to Lincoln for the Pre Op. This was totally different. The first thing the Nurse asked me if I was a diabetic as glucose was found in my urine. I informed her that to my knowledge I was not a diabetic. Well in Lincoln I went to about 5 different rooms. One I can remember was on the heart monitor. You are wired up to the machine for ages until the guy in charge was satisfied. I think the time I was there was over 2.5 hours. I know it was getting dark when I got home.
I received a letter informing me of the procedure. Normally one went to a day ward, had the operation and left either the same day or the next day. Normally operations were performed on a Friday. I, however had to report a day earlier as I was a diabetic and would not be allowed to leave until Sunday.
Well the Thursday arrived, I reported at Hospital, nothing was done really and I just hung around all day. Early Friday morning the Anaesthetist came to see me. He introduced himself and told me that he would soon be back and then we would walk, yes walk to the Operating Theatre. He told me not to take my usual medication.
A few minutes later the Nurse came and told me to take my medication. I informed her that the Anaesthetist had told me not to take anything. She just shrugged her shoulders and left. I guess that in the ward there were 6 of us altogether, some were not having anything else but tests to see if they needed the Operation.
I guess it was about 8.45am. when the guy came back, he told me to put my slippers on and also my dressing gown. Then off we went walking to the Operating Theatre. I remarked just how far it was and it was a good job he was there because I would never be able to find my way. Well we got to a little annex room where he told me that this, I guess she was a comforter, woman was waiting and he informed me that he would be back in a couple of minutes. Well this woman and I was idly chatting away for what seemed an age, Eventually she told me she was going go ring up and find out what was wrong. She told me that the Surgeon had been delayed but I would be in the theatre very soon. I was, he came out and took me into the Operating Theatre, showed me where things were, told me to get on the operating table, then he reassured me by telling me everything that was going to happen. He told me that soon he would give me an injection to relax me, then he would put the mask over my face he would then tell me when he was going to administer the anaesthetic. This he did. He told me that he was going to give me the anaesthetic and then he told me that he would see me in a minute.
The next thing I knew was being in the recovery room. As soon as one recovers one is wheeled back to the ward. This is what happened in my case.
When I had come round sufficiently, one of the guys in the ward asked me where I had been all that time because I had been away for well over 3 hours. Of course I did not know how long I had been away.
Well for the rest of the day, I was left alone, at night a male nurse came to see me. I asked him to look as I was losing fluid out of my body. It turned out to be the drain bottle that had not been fitted securely. He had to change my gown but told me that all was well.
He left about 9.00pm a little later a Doctor came to examine me and told the Nurse with her that the drain tube could be removed, she left and when she had gone I asked the Nurse if she was going to remove the drain tube. She informed me that she had no intention of removing the tube, she told me that she had not removed one for years and certainly was not going to start now. I just thought well that's it.
A little later an old man was admitted to the ward. By now there was only 3 of us and one was waiting for his wife to pick him up. This old man was in pain and the Doctors did not know what was wrong with him. He would cry out in pain every so often. So it was not a great night for having a sleep.
Saturday morning the male Nurse again was on duty, but he told me he would be moving to another ward as this one was officially closed. I asked him if he could take my tube out. He told me that although it was years since he had done it, he would try. He made a great job, explaining all I must do, he gave me extra dressings and told me it was important to let the air get to the would as if it had no air it would not heal.
Anyway he left soon after and the gentleman and I were alone. He was still in pain so I asked him to talk and perhaps the pain would go. This he agreed. He told me he was 92 and lived in Lincoln. It was this man who gave me the idea to tell about my vehicles as he told me that he would tell me all the cars he had bought.I will continue the story after the Wedding week end.

No comments:

Post a Comment