Monday 11 April 2011

Short and sweet?




With the weather being unseasonably warm, I thought once again I would show my flowers. Polyanthus are the main ones out just now, I can honestly say I think this is the best show I have ever had of them, thank goodness the blackbirds have not taken all of the flowers. They generally peck the flowers off, why I just don't know but they do. In the borders are Narcissus. I think they are called Honesty. They smell absolutely wonderful and the air is so sweetly scented early in the mornings.

Until this afternoon the weather once again was very warm, but around 3.30pm the winds got up and clouds came. no rain though but when the clouds blew over somewhere 7.00pm it certainly turned a lot colder.

My cherry trees and plum trees too are in full flower, well to be honest the plum are nearing the end of their flowering. Also the apple trees are in bud. Frost is forecast over the next 2 evenings. It is not possible to cover them up , I could probably protect a couple or so, but what the heck. If there is a frost, so be it. I will almost certainly be safe with the frost tender vegetables in the greenhouse and polytunnel.

By the way. if you look closely on one of the photos you will see the demise of my carnations. Like most gardeners, this winter was the coldest for many years and have lost many hardy perennials. I am waiting though to see what I have lost. I think I have a fuchsia that I thought had died, just beginning to shoot from the base. Mind you, I have definitely lost a lot of fuchsia's.

That is it for tonight. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment