Wednesday 13 April 2011

Wow!!!



Yes! these are new potatoes. I have never had them so early before. To be honest, I noticed that this potato plant was not looking as healthy as the other ones in the greenhouse. I thought it had the star of blight. So to be on the safe side I decided to pull the plant up. I was surprised to see that there was a potato on so I got my hands in the soil and found what you can see above, Enough for a meal for me tomorrow. I grow all my produce in the polytunnel and greenhouse in John Innes No.3 soil based compost. It does not dry out so much and the taste is very near to the garden soil.

I took also a photo of the greenhouse, I know that it is in a mess but I only took it to show, firstly how well the potatoes look. Secondly if you enlarge the photo, you will see that the grape vine is just beginning to grow. Also there are a few salad plants there too. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Having known my Aunt and what a lovely garden (though largely unproductive of vegetables) she had, and having known just how untidy her greenhouse was, I'd have been amazed if yours was any different!

    I have a suspicion that those with tidy greenhouses are not good gardeners - but what do I know about it!

    And yes, of course, those potatoes look good enough to eat! Well done!

    ReplyDelete