Thursday 21 April 2011

Vehicles

Today, I will tell all who read every motor I have had.
First though, I must tell all how I hot my driving licence. I went out to Hong Kong and was allocated a Bedford QL tipper. As I could not drive I was given a driver who was in charge of a grading machine.
Well one winters day after heavy rain, I was summoned with my driver to take the tipper to a place where we were toget some aggregate to repair the mud slips. I was to drive and he was just to supervise. Well I did this journey many times and one day this officer got into the passenger seat I just carried on as usual and when I returned he just told me to keep well into the side, gave me a piece of paper which I was to give to Admin at my base. Thuis I did. When it was time for me to leave Hong Kong for home ready for demob, we were given a card and told to send it to Ministry of Transport and we would get our driving licence. Well I was demobed in 1957 but did not apply for my licence until1960. It duly came and so I went out and purchased my first vehicle. a Ford Thames Van 100E side valve only 3 forward gears. I was not really fit to drive and went in the country lanes for several weeks to get used to a small vehicle. I had that van I think for 4 years. In 1964 I bought a Ford Anglia, it was less than 3 years old. Incidentally when I purchased the Ford Thames van it was 2 years old. I liked the Anglia, unfortunately when I went into business, I had to sell the car toy raise funds. This was late 1968.
I was without transport for about 18 months. To be honest, I can't for the life of me remember what the make of the next vans were. What I can remember is the it was a C reg. the mileage was 10900 miles. The mileometer was broken. I remember buying a brand new van from the garage, they gave me a good price for the old van as it had done little mileage. This was October 1994. It was like the other van a 5cwt. Well in 1976, I began to make a little money so decided that a van was not really for me so I decided to purchase a Datsun 120y sunny. Nissan was originally called Datsun. Well this was an estate car. This being 1976 there were no rear wipers installed in any vehicle at that time. I used to get angry as I said it was more or less just like having a van, regarding the rear view mirror. So in September 1978 I went mad and bought a Toyota Celica Liftback. They were very stylish. The nearest thing to that was the Ford Capri. They were not as nippy as the Celica and had a box like shape. The Celica looked great. I kept the car for about 7 years and then gave it to an ex employee. I then purchased a Jaguar XJS Auto sports. The 6 ltr motor with the Coventry climax engine. Mind you, it was not new, it was about 3 years old. It was certainly the most prestigious car I ever owned. It was surprising just how many doors it opened. I had no idea as to the power a Jaguar had when it came to prestige.
It was very expensive to run, tyres were around £200 each. I had a twin exhaust fitted, another huge bill and when I had air conditioning on, the MPG was down to 10. Eventually I sold it privately and bought a Citroen AX.GT. this was in 1986. A very nippy car, it would do well over 100mph and zero to 60 was less than 10secs. I had that until I think 1992. I bought another AX but this was a diesel. I didn't get on really too well with it so in 1994 I traded it in for a Peugeot 206turbo diesel. The most efficient nippy car I ever had, It would do in excess of 65mpg and zero to 60 in less than 9 seconds. Unfortunately my Mother was getting worse, she had been disabled for many years and found it increasingly difficult to get in and out of my Peugeot. So in I think it was 1998, I let my Sister have my old car and I bought a Honda Civic. I never liked it from the start but my Mother found it a lot easier to get in and out of the car, so that was it. I was stuck with it for the time being. However in late 2000 my Mother took a sudden turn for the worse, she went into a home for a short time but to be honest, I knew she would never leave. It was then that I decided to buy a sports type car. I went and bought a Hyundai Coupe 2 ltr. It was not as nippy as some I have had, but very sporty looking. Unfortunately, I had to go into hospital about 9 months after I had the car. I had an operation. found that it was painful and difficult to get in and out of the car so I decided to go for what I knew would be easy to get in and out of. Another Peugeot. This time a Peugeot 207G.T 150. Thp I think it meant that it was 150 brake horse power, I had the car for almost 4 years and this year sold it and have now gone for a modest car. As I am in my mid 70s I do not want a nippy car again so I have a Vauxhall Corsa Ecoflex, start stop. It is supposed to be very economical. I will let all know what the MPG is when I fill up. I did fill up when I went to Grantham about 3 weeks ago and all I have done is about 140 miles and the fuel gauge is still over 3/4 full. It is supposed to do about 70 to the gallon. Mind you it wants to. It is diesel and diesel here is 147.9 p per ltr. Petrol is 140,9.
Easter is upon us, by the way, I am still in dispute with Vauxhall regarding my windscreen. So perhaps I will have a week end off correspondence with their customer assistance? It is not what I would ever call it.
Happy Easter Holidays to all. I guess it will be next week when I next visit my blog.

1 comment:

  1. I think insurance is a racket. The companies love us while we're paying them but hate us and obstruct us in every way if we ever ask them to pay us.

    If we all behaved like that then common decency and normal commercial practice would go out of the window, eh?

    ReplyDelete