Monday 18 April 2011

Unseasonal weather


This is in my fruit cage, these are my cherry trees, as you can see both are well laden with flowers. Tomorrow, I hope to take a photo of my garden where my fruit trees are, most are now just coming into, or are in full bloom.

Now to the unseasonal weather, I don't know if I mentioned it but in February, I decided to set a few broad bean plants. I didn't even think the weather would be like this in April. I now don't think they will be bearing fruit. I tried this with runner beans about 10 years ago and found that they grew well and flowered well too but they just would not set. Well to be honest, I did have one set, but it didn't grow it just shrivelled up.

Well this year, it has been very hot in the greenhouse, temperatures well over 90f. The plants, although growing started to wilt a little when it turned hot but recovered at night so that in the morning they looked O.K. Now I have noticed, all are in flower and the flowers are dropping off before they can be pollinated. I will, of course keep all informed as to the future. I incidentally do have plenty more broad beans out in the garden. In fact, I have one bed that I set direct into the garden and covered them with protective sheeting. When I looked a few weeks later, there was only the odd bean germinated. I naturally thought the mice had been and eaten the seeds so I set some more. Not only did they germinate but the ones I set later have also come up so I should be well off for broad beans, black fly allowing.

I had a delivery of young Fuchsia plants the other day, unfortunately it looks as if 1 is not going to survive. I lost a lot of fuchsias in the winter, but recently I have noticed that about 5 have started to shoot from the base. Anyway, all but one of my fuchsia cuttings died. Mind you I noticed that I had young anthirrinum plants in one of the pots that had a fuchsia. Today, I transplanted a dozen plants so I will have plenty of anthirrinums. Last year too I had a few petunias from my brother in law. When they were about finished, I saved some seeds. They are so tiny, well I decided to sow them early this year. Now I have about 18 plants. plenty for me. I mentioned it to my brother in law, he told me that he had gone off them because last year was not the best year weather wise. I also had a couple of years ago, some wallflowers, all of them died except one, it also did a little last year, so when it set it's seeds I decided to save them. I don't know what they will be like but I have just set them in a prepared seed bed. I will wait and see what happens.

I have got rid of most of my tomato plants. I gave some to my nurse friend, some also to my Postman and the only ones I have to give to are my next door neighbour. My neighbour on the other side, I do not know whether to offer her any as she is hoping to sell soon. I think I will wait a few weeks to see if she wants a couple of plants. More soon

No comments:

Post a Comment