Thursday 14 April 2011

Grouch Marx???

just a little note, I have been in contact with Vauxhall. I have sent several e-mails and they have replied to me. The funny thing is that I have had 3 different Customer Service Managers reply to me. Am I wearing them out? Now to something completely different. Don't ask me what bought it to mind, it may be that I was today making bread rolls. This happened I guess over 50 years ago. I was on a local shunting duty as a fireman, the job was so easy and to be honest, rather boring as there was nothing much to do. It was a Monday, so my overalls were nice and clean just back from the laundry. Anyway my Driver suggested that if I wanted something to do, why didn't I go to the local flour mill and ask the Manager to show me round. To his surprise, I said I would and without further ado off I went. I saw a guy and asked him if the Manager was available, he showed me to his office. I went in and asked him, that if he had time, would he be so kind as to show me round the mill. To my surprise, he readily agreed, put his whit coat on and proceeded to take me to the milling department. I was surprised just how noisy it was. The first sort of cylinder, similar to a washing machine but of course much larger. Here the whole wheat was spun round and ground it to a rough meal. The second bin then ground it to a fine flour, something like a rough wholemeal flour. The Manager told me that this was the finest biscuit flour and was sent all over the country. I asked him if it was possible to make bread flour. He then told me that, unfortunately, the wheat grown in this country was not of sufficient quality to be able to make bread. The place where wheat flour for making bread was produced was in fact Canada. Now of course, better seeds have been bred so that it is possible to produce bread flour in this country. Well we came to the last cylinder and just as he got there, the seal broke and flour started to pour out, he was covered, I thankfully only had a little on me. What surprised me though was just how quickly the mechanism stopped. Unfortunately, the Manager hurriedly ceased my tour, I thanked him and that was that. Mind you my driver had a bit of a laugh when he saw me with flour spattered in places. There was another time I went to see something but it was not such a pleasant visit. It was to a glue making factory. I went and asked if they could show me just how glue was made. You can imagine the smell. First, bones were boiled in a vat, not clean healthy bones I ca assure you. They seemed to be in vats boiling for several days. To be honest, after about 20 minutes, I made my excuses and left. Of course my Driver was laughing as he knew just how the pace did smell. Unfortunately, they were the only 2 places I managed to visit. I suppose I was lucky really to have had the opportunity. Finally, today, I had my new potatoes, they were beautiful. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. I can remember 'pleasure cruising' up the canal from Foxton to Market Harborough in Leicestershire.

    Along the way was a glue factory which, from the smell, obviously used the same boiling up of carcasses route to glue making. It too stank!

    We didn't make that trip very often - particularly when the wind was in the 'wrong' direction!

    ReplyDelete