Friday 2 March 2012

Radio days

Yesterday I didn't go online at all because i was too tired so today I will tell about my early days of radio.
As I have mentioned before I was born in a house that had no electricity. Yes we had a radio or a wireless as it was known. It was battery operated and each week my eldest Sister had to walk into town and have our accumulator charged. We had 2 as did everyone else who had a battery operated radio. It cost 6d a week, nothing in todays world but enough when we were poor. The battery cost something like 12/11d just about 65p. The battery only lasted for about 3 months so we did not have the radio on much. It was not until 1947 that we moved house and had electricity. Then the radio was on a lot. Mind you as there were only 3 channels. Light Programme Home Service and the Third Programme. This was generally for the high intellect and those who liked classical music. The Light Programme was for the masses. Although there was only two programmes that had record music. Housewife's Choice each weekday from 9.00am until 10.00am. The other one was two way Family Favourites. This was on a Sunday afternoon for I think one hour. The only other music was studio music. That is it was broadcast live.
In the early 50s I bought a radiogramme so that I could play my LPs. As I was on the Railway and shiftwork. When I was on afternoos I would get home around 10.20pm. My parent's would soon after me arriving home would go to bed. This suited me because I would lay in darkness searching the medium wavebands to find some decent music.
One day I found AFN. (American Forces Network) It was brilliant. In the winter there was a programme called Night Train, well summer too but in the winter it was from 10.00pm until midnight and in the summer 11.00pm until 01.00am. There were 3 stations and it was stationed in Germany. Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Munich. These all came together for this evenings music. IT was always records and it affected me with music for the rest of my life. I must admit that the music on AFN was brilliant and the Artists that were being played were mostly unknown over here. The only other place where record music was played was Radio Luxembourg. The reception was however very poor and it was all Pop music, which didn't really fit what I wished to hear.
Modern youngsters would find it hard to believe what I have written but I can assure you that this was true. I think we have gone from one extreme to another.Far to many choices and so many that it is almost impossible to listen to them all. Oh well. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment