Friday 20 August 2010

As Promised



Well I finally get to show the outcome of my neighbour cutting the leylandi hedge. I personally think he has made a good job of it and it is surprising just how much lighter it seems to be. To be quite frank, I was noticing my block paving being affected with the roots from these trees. They do not have deep roots but long shallow roots. Let us hope that this will stop the roots going any further.

Now to these plums. These are the first of my plums this season. They are called Early Laxton, I think they are better tasting than Victoria Plums, earlier than Vics, and the skins are not as bitter as Vics, they are a little smaller though. I personally think they are about the best dessert plums around. Mind you, this season they are a lot are much smaller than usual. This is due to the very dry weather we had this year. Saying that though it has been a lot cooler this last fortnight and we have had some rain. Overnight we had some and today, although it has been muggy 25c we had a few showers. When the sun came out. it was very oppressive.
Have been picking lots of runner beans these last couple of day, so much so, that I gave both my neighbours plenty of beans. The Enorma beans look great and I am proud to give them away as they look so good. My apples on the other hand are a dreadful disappointment. My James Grieve are small, being pecked by blackbirds and then attacked by wasps. Such a disappointment. They are attacking my Bramley cooker apple too, I suppose my late summer apples called Sunset will soon be a target. I don't mind as long as they leave me enough for myself. It is funny really, they seem to pick the biggest and the best apples first. It reminded me of little kiddies. When I was at the sea front kiosk. I used to sell beach gear. You would get grandpa come with a very young child. the child would go for the larges bucket and spade possible. Grandpa would do his best to persuade them to have a smaller one, but nearly always they lost out. Mind you it was more money for me. Surely insects and birds are not like small children! Well I will give it some thought. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment