Tuesday 31 August 2010

After the Hols.

Hi once again It is after the last week end break of the summer. In U.K. the last Monday in August is the late summer break. It is called August Bank Holiday. That is the last break until the Christmas break. The weather was dreadful over the week end. Yes, plenty of rain , strong winds, gale force on the coast and very cold for the time of year. On Saturday the temperature reached 14c maximum, Rain was almost continuous, not heavy but really a dismal day. Sunday started likewise but as the day went on the wind gradually dropped but it was not nice. On Monday, the weather men said it would be nice, not so no the coast it was better than the week end but not good. Today however is much better. Typical, as most would be returning to work.
I saw my neighbour today, the first time in about 4 days. I thought they had been away for the week end but she informed me that it had been cold so had stayed indoors. I asked if she wanted any produce and she replied in the affirmative. Anyway I picked a punnet of blackberries, some beetroot, runner beans, tomatoes and a few Bramley apples. I took them round to her and just said " No eggs". Well she then told me that her hens had been attacked. I immediately thought of a fox. I enquired what had attacked them and she told me a dog. Asking her what sort she told me it was a Jack Russell. Oh dear. I had a Jack Russell, they are the most temperamental of all dogs with a mind of their own. Not to be trusted and will only be faithful to the owner. My parents could never get my dog to do as it was told. Times without number I have had to go and fetch the dog in as it just ignored my parents. Anyway back to the dog. She took me to see the chickens, feathers all over the place, 3 dead and several with no tail feathers. She told me that a lady came to the door with the dog in her arms and told here that the dog had got in the coop and run riot. From what I could gather the lady lives about 200 metres away in a caravan. She apologised profusely and then informed my neighbour that she would have to keep the dog on a lead from now on. It is funny really because her partner had only the other day informed me that he would have to get another gun. Maybe now he will.
I had a good look at them and I told her that by the looks of things, they had once again began to settle down. I also informed her that they would go off lay for as long as a fortnight but perhaps not as long as that. I then told her to keep going to visit them to reassure them. Chickens are really a wonderful pet and will follow you everywhere. They seem to love human contact.
Well I think they have strengthened the fence a little, whether it is enough only time will tell. Finally she told me that she would be getting some more to replace the ones that were killed.
On that sad note I will close. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment