Wednesday 25 August 2010


The plums called Early Laxton, I inadvertantly may have called them Early Rivers but they are Early Laxton. They are a little later ripening this year but to my mind are a better taste than Victorias. I hope you agree they look very nice.

These are my cultivated blackberries, just beginning to ripen. I am ashamed because I have no idea what variety they are. Shame on me. They are nice and large though, not sweet yet as they are not really ripe enough.
Update on my grapes, yes they look ripe but are not sweet enough yet. I looked at last years diary and noticed that my Italian friend bought me a bunch of grapes, the same variety as these at the end of September. I know they are the same variety as he gave ma a cutting 3 years ago.
Now to other matters. I went for my pension yesterday and noticed one field of wheat had only been partially cut. Nearly all other fields have been harvested but this one had about 20% to gather. I know for sure that it will have not been cut as we have had plenty of rain. Yesterday in the form of very heavy showers, today early was pleasant but a little cool but as the afternoon wore on light rain once again started to fall. I did manage to get my potatoes lifted though. I know it is early but I set them fairly early on and to be quite candid, I was surprised at the size of some of the potatoes.
With all the rain we are having, I am getting more runner neans than I know what to do with. Yesterday I picked over 1 kilo almost 2.5 lbs and this morning about half the weight. My friend is calling tomorrow so he will have plenty of runner beans to take home with him. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment