Monday 14 May 2012

Are things worse?

I have been wanting to see my Postman for these last few days because I had some plants for him. By a stroke of good fortune, as I went out the front door he was outside delivering mail. He told me that last week the delivery to his sorting office was late, but he didn't know what was going to happen this week as the Main Road was being closed.
 This afternoon there was a letter pushed throught my letter box stating that the Main A52 in our village was closed to all traffic from May 17th. to May 31st. The closure will be from 9.00am until 5.00pm Monday to Friday. Heaven alone knows what we will be able to do. The reason for closing the road is Resurfacing the carriageway. The reason given is Highway surface failure.
 I just can't believe it. Several years ago it  was the normal practice for a vehicle to spray tar on the worn surface, stone chippings were then spread on and then were pressed into a loose position. It was then up to the vehicles to drive at no more that 20mph. to give the chippings a solid base. I will ask my neighbour tomorrow, or when I see them next as to what will happen to us? It ststes that every effort will be taken to minimise the disruption and inconvenience. I don't think they realise that living in the country there are almost no facilities at all.
 Of course I will keep anyone who is interested updated. More soon.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment