Wednesday 9 May 2012

One of those days

I knew it was going to be one of those days when I started to travel to my mate's home in Skegness. As I went by the end of my village, I noticed that a road leading to Alford was closed. I went on another 2 miles or so when there was a road closed sign. It must be remembered that this is the A52. It stated that the road was closed from Mumby to Ingoldmells that is about 9 miles of closure. The diversion took me to Bilsby, there were road works and some delay. The diversion was to make my journey almost double and where it normally takes me around 25 minutes. This morning took me almost 45 minutes. I eventually arrived and mentioned to his Mum about Jam Roly Poly and The bit about the blue sky and Navy Blue trousers. She remembered them well. Unfortunately her other Son came in. I don't really know him so I made my excuses and paid my mate for the goods he got me, he carried them out to my car then it was off home via the diversion.
  Not the same as I travelled to Skegness but a more direct route, I did have to travel to Sutton on Sea and I decided to do a little shopping. On the outskirts of Sutton there is a Filling Station that is attended. Yes it is not as cheap as Supermarkets, but where I live it is very competitive. I told her to fill it up but would not cost much. When she had filled it up she told me that it was more than I had expected. I thought it would be about £20. It was £21.02p I told her that I had used every penny on paying mate for the goods he got me, I told her that it would have to be £21.50. She looked at me and gave me the 50p back and told me that £21 would be enough. That was nice because the profit on fuel is not much.
 I then decided to go and park in the Town, get my What's On T.V weekly paper, then went to the local Supermarket for some Gammon and a few odds and ends. The total was £6.10. I told him it would be £6.50. He told me that was fine and gave me two 20p pieces change. As I walked from the Supermarket I noticed a Wet Fish Van in a sort of courtyard. I had noticed it before so I went to see if  he had a Herring for sale. As I was waiting this Woman spoke to me. I recognised her but couldn't remember where I knew her from. Then it was my turn. I asked the man if he had a Herring, he told me that he hadn't had any Herrings for a month or more. I then noticed there was some smoked Haddock fillets. I told him I would have a small one. When he picked it up, I didn't think it looked nice so I told him I would have another and pointed it out to him. He weighed it then put it in a bag and sealed it. I was staggered when he told me that the cost was £4.36p. There is just enough for 2 meals. I worked it out, I had just spent in less than 2 hours, over 50% of my weekly State Pension. I don't think I will be going there again.
 It bothered me all the way home that Woman who spoke to me. She had called me by my Christian name and asked me if I was still gardening. After  I guess 10 minutes of hard thinking I remembered who she was. She was an Assistant at the old Post Office Stores that lost it's Post Office about 3 years ago so obviously I hardly ever go there anymore. Mind you, I have never seen her whenever I have been in the shop. Still I can rest  knowing that I have finally remembered her. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment