Friday 25 May 2012

The very latest

This morning I saw some of the contractors preparing the road. They were removing the cats eyes. In a while there was a lorry draw up at the side of my home. I decided to go out and see just what was happening. I first of all asked him if everything was going according to schedule. He told me that it was just about on course. He then said to me that the traffic went by very fast. I concurred saying that it was supposed to be a 40mph. speed limit. I did remind him though that where the 30 mph stsrted the z bend meant that vehicles did have to slow down a lot. I guessed he was in charge of the singnage as in his lorry were plenty of signs. It rather confirmed this when he made the comment that folks were using the Jolly Common short cut. He told me that he kept telling them that the road was not suitable as it is just wide enough for one vehicle. I then told him that the Sea Lane road was also not good which he readily agreed. He then asked me if the A52 went through Grantham. I told him that it came from Derby and it was the main route to Skegness via Grantham. I also told him that the A52 ended at the traffic light s on Victoria Road opposite the Book in Hand Public House.
 I asked him if he was local. He told me he was not but came from Doncaster. Well not Doncaster really but Selby but he told me most had never heard of selby. I immediately infirmed him that I knew where Selby was and it was about 10 miles from York. As a Fireman on British Rail we had plenty of jobs to York and sometimes we did stop at Selby. He seemed impressed.
 Anyway I asked him what was going to happen next week and if the road to Skegness would be open next Friday. He assured me that the road would be open because the Council had refused permission for them to work after Thursday next week due to the Bank Holiday. He told me it was because of the caravans being towed. He told me that they wished to perhaps go back on Wednesday after the Bank Holiday but he thought that also would not be possible. I then asked him if the back road to Alford would be open. He told me that they hoped it would.
 What he told me then was what had been rumoured for a while. He told me that as far as he coul see most of the repairswere where the Olympic Torch was being carried. I did tell him that I thought no Torch was passing here but was not sure. I thought it was going to Thurlby. He did tell me that the Torch was going through Mumby. We will wait and see, it is going through Mumby though. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment