Monday 25 June 2012

Old Story

What I write is hard to believe but it is true.
 When I first went into business, I catered for the youngsters more than doing a restaurant style menu.
 It was at this time when I met this old man.
 I used to open daily at 8.00am and close at 10.00pm. My daily routine was as soon as I closed I put the chairs on the tables, swept up then mopped the floor.
  It was one night about 10.30pm while I was standing outside the cafe waiting for the floor to day. It was a Marley tiled harlequin patterned floor. As it was I guess late July. I say this because it was darkish, so the  floor didn't take long to dry.
Anyway this Gentleman came up to me, he would be in his 80s. He asked me if I had any tobacco. I told him unfortunately no, but I did sell cigarrettes and if he wished a packet and I would willingly get him one. He declined my offer. He then told me he was staying with his, either Daughter or Son just a few doors away. Incidentally I knew his Grandson more than his Son/Daughter.
 What he told me next took me by surprise. He told me that he, as a young Man was employed as a Chauffeur. He told me that he asked his Employer if he could get to Lincolnshire as it was his Mother's Birthday the following day. He told me, to his surprise his Boss told him yes and then said he could take the car. This was from London to Mablethorpe, around 160 miles. His Boss reminded him to  make sure that he had enough petrol as there were very few Filling Stations away from London. He told me that he was the FIRST person to drive a car in Mablethorpe. He said lots came to see his motor as it was a novelty in rural Lincolnshire.
  Then he told me something else. He told me that as a youngster the telephone was just becoming available to ordinary people. Not that there were many telephones available. He told me he said to his Mother when he was a young lad. "One day people will not only talk to one another across the oceans but they would be able to see them too." He said all  he got for his troubles was a clip around the ears and was told not to talk bloody rubbish.
  We had about 10 minutes talking and to be honest, I was very interested. Unfortunately I never saw him ever again.  More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Good Grief! A twelve hour work day, plus the time before setting up for the day, and the time after cleaning up. Add to that sleep time and there surely wasn't much time left in the day for living!

    ReplyDelete