Monday 18 June 2012

Poor weather

Over the week end the weather has been in general poor. On Friday while my Pal was here we had several heavy showers and a thunderstorm. such was the power of the storm that the Methodist Church at Sutton was struck and was set on fire.
  When my Pal was here he told me a story about Walkers Crisps. They had initially informed him that theywould not supply him and his Brother who had a General Goods round  and he must use one of their suppliers. One day he told me he saw a Salesman for Walkers. He asked him why they were not prepared to supply them direct. The Salesman then informed him that if he took 1000 cases then they were prepared to supply them. Reluctantly he agreed to have the 1000 cases. He told me that when the big van arrived it took a while to get them all in his warehouse. I readily agreed with him. This then bought to mind Coca Cola. There was apolicy that discounts were for I thnk 10, 20 30 40 and 50 cases. It was not much I think in old money 3d  discount for each 10 case so 1/3d off for 50 cases. I asked the driver what was the maximum discount. He told me that there was an extra discount for 200 cases but it was only for the independent retailers who in general sold their own pop but carried coco cola as a service. I got on top the Manager at Lincoln depot, He came to see me, he was a well dressed man with a dickie bow. He always wore a dickie whenever he came to see me. The long and short of it was that I was the first to get the discount for 200 cases and they made this rule that anybody who was prepared to purchase 200 cases in one drop could get the maximum discount.
 This would be around 1972. I can remember on more than one occasion in the winter months, there would be a phone call asking me if I required any coca cola. If I said no they would just tell me that they were giving Mablethorpe a miss that month. generally they would deliver once a month in Winter and every 14 days an the Summer Months. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment