Tuesday 19 June 2012

Road closed yet again

This morning about 8.30am I set off to go to Louth Outpatients at the Hospital. There was a nice young assistant there and she was helpful. By the way, I was directed to another department and on arrival there was an elderly woman there who was a volunteer. I gave her my name anf jokingly asked her where the tea and coffee was. She told me that she would make me a drink after she found out if I was allowed one. I told her I was pulling her leg and really didn't want a drink. She stopped by me and we talked for several minutes before she went to her place waiting for the next patient. I saw one of the Nurses around and she came over and had a word. When I was called in the first thing the Nurse told me she was sorry to keep me waiting. I informed her that I was early and my appointment was not for another 4 minutes so there was no need to aploogise. All went smoothly and left the car park at 10.10am.
 I decided to go back the way I went but instead of turnig the way to me village I would carry on to Sutton and fill up with fuel, then I could pay the few odd pence I owed them. When I got to the turn off I usually take, there was a sign. I didn't take much notice as there are loads of signs informing one that there will be delays on June 27th, because of the Olympic Torch. Anyway I stopped and pulled in an old bakery. I walked back to read the sign and it read that Sutton was closed on the A52. I then had to go back home the normal way. This was a bind really as the lenght of the road to my turn off to my village has been resurfaced and a speed limit of 20mph. was in force. There were loads of cars, vans and lorries using this road which is only a B road. Anyway I reached my turn off and went to my A52 junction. there in front of me was a sign. Road Closed. However while I was reading this notice a van and a car sped by so I turned onto the main A52 and proceeded to follow them. I guess we had gone no more than 50 yards when there were cones across the road, the van turned off onto a single track road, the car just pulled up to the cones. I recognised the workman who was sitting on a chair reading ignoring all traffic. I got out of my car and i think he recognised me because as soon as I told him that I lived 100 yds up the road he just told me that he would let me through then. As I turned to go to my car, the driver of the red car, a woman asked me if she could get to Mablethorpe this way. Itold her the road was closed and I lived a little way up the road. She then asked me how to get to Mablethorpe. I didn't get chance to answer her. The man shouted. "Follow the diversion signs." The woman told him she had, but I knew this was not true. Anyway I rushed back to my car and noticed another 2 vehicles trying to get through. I was waved through and the others had to turn round. I don't know if the 2 ladies ever got to Mablethorpe.
 When I got in and changed clothes, a habit that was dung into us as kids, as soon as we got home, off with the best clothes and on with the working clothes. Well as soon as I had changes, checked mail and sorted the junk mail I went to put junk mail into the recycle bin. As I went out, there was a workman walking down. I asked him if the road was going to be closed tomorrow. He told me NO. Today they had to finish as the Council had told them to hurry up as the Olympic Torch was coming this way. He then asked me if this was true. I told him what I truly think. I said to him "Do you honestly think that there will be runners from Sutton all the way to here? There are no houses and it is desolate. If there were runners running every bit of the way, it would take weeks to travel through Lincolnshire alone." I told him that I expected to see a load of hangers on travelling on a bus with several other vehicles following. If the torch is carried through our village, which I don't believe is, it will just be where the village is populated. Where I live, there are about 6 houses and then a gap of almost 1/3 mile until you get to the main part of the village. We will wait and see.
 Incidentally, there was no top dressing put on the road, yesterday they remarked the road and today they were reinstating the cats eyes. What I will do one day is try to give a rough measurement of just how long the road replinishment is, because  the road was closed for almost 4 weeks. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment