Wednesday 15 January 2014

A little surprised

When I returned home I bumped into my Postman friend. He gave me a bill but also some circulars including one about my District Council.
 To be honest it was not until late last night that I read it. Inside was a piece about the refuse collection services. I noticed that one of the pieces was about going online to pay for the green Waste Collection. This would cost £25 for a collection each 2 weeks commencing the end of March, but over Christmas and the New year there would be no collections. I thought to myself, this would suit me fine but there is a snag. There always is and this was. Green Waste and what they would collect. Grass cuttings I do not have any grass, leaves, plants, sticks, pruning's and cut flowers. Amongst  the things not allowed was, wood that has been treated or painted sawdust, obnoxious weeds chipboard and no food or kitchen waste including  vegetable/potato peelings.
 I was surprised and disappointed as I eat almost every day several vegetables including potatoes. I also eat a couple of apples during the winter which are peeled and cored. I reckoned that with not being allowed to put cabbage leaves, pea pods, broad bean pods etc. in the green waste bin it would not be worth my while paying the £25 for a year as without these going in the bin I would have, at most 8 bins to empty each year. So what I have decided to do is this. From now on ALL my garden waste that I use for my personal use, such as cabbage, cauliflower, peas broad beans etc. will be placed in my Domestic Waste Bin. This disappoints me as until now, all I have had to put out each 2 weeks is a Supermarket bag which is quite often about 50% full only.
 Something that the District Council stated was that they would save £400,000 each year. I personally think it will cost them more. If people are like me, instead of putting far less that 1 kilo of waste each two weeks. I will guess that my total will be more like 4 kilos a fortnight. Such as pea haulms and broad bean  plants I will burn them as I live in the country and I do have a large garden. I certainly will not grow as many vegetables as I have done in previous years so neighbours will not get so many freebies.
Incidentally the local radio announced that the Council Tax will be increased this year so the £25 will go towards the increase.
I have emptied my Green Waste bin so it is now empty, what I have done is place the vegetable peelings etc. in a plastic bin liner in the bin ready for the next collection a week tomorrow.
Tomorrow should be my big day for the installation of a replacement Bulk LPG. Tank  and the removal of the old one. We will see. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment