Thursday 2 January 2014

2014

The start of another year, my 77th. I find it hard to believe that I will be 77 this year. I still think of myself as being young but my body thinks differently.
 Christmas as always these last few years was quiet. The same can not be said about the last couple of days though.
 New Year's Eve my Sister, who with her Husband came to see me. Each year they go to Skegness to celebrate new year. Together with her Husband's relatives they have a few days catching up with all the news.
It was nice to see them but they didn't stay too long as they were late arriving. It turned out that a light lunch was arranged for all there and it started late. The evening meal was early hence the stay was shorter than they had proposed. I did manage to pick a few carrots for them and they left as it was getting dark. Not that it has been  a bright few days what with severe gales and heavy rain I was pleased to see out 2013.
This morning I went out to put some stuff in the recycle bin and noticed that next door had theirs out ready to be emptied. I didn't think it was time for that so I went Online and checked. They were correct so I went to put mine out. I heard the lady next door putting theirs out too so I went to have a word.
 I told her that I had thought they had been away for the New Year as I had heard no noise at all. She told me that they had been in but the weather had been so poor that they had stayed indoors all the time. She then told me they had turkey for Christmas lunch and it had cost £45. I was amazed at the cost. She then told me that next year they all planned to go out for Christmas Day lunch and each of them was going to save £5  a month. This she told me would be more than enough because she had priced some of the Restaurants and the average price was £50 but the one she had an eye on was even cheaper this year.
 It was then that she told me that if I wished I could also go with them and spend Christmas with them. I thanked her very much but told her that I doubted  whether I would go. About 20 minutes later the doorbell rang and it was her with 3 eggs just laid. I was surprised and pleased too because I had no eggs at all. Mind you, I do not eat many eggs. She also knows this, hence the 3 only eggs.
 Earlier my Italian friend had phoned me asking if I would be in later, I of course told him I would. It would be around 11.00am. when he called. It was nice to see him but he had some disappointing news of his Wife. She, once more was in Hospital, she suffers from a mental condition. She has been in Hospital since before Christmas so it has been a poor Christmas for him.
 He came in his new car, well not exactly brand new but fairly new. It is a Peugeot 207 I do believe it is the first time he has had a car other than a Fiat. I told him it was the best car he has had and that I had that same model a few years ago and it was a nice car. He told me that it was a 1400cc. I told him that the one I had was a 166 Thp G.T. However now all I am interested in is an economic car.
 We talked for about an hour then it was time for him to leave.
 I decide to take a few carrots to next door. When I walked round, the two handicapped residents were there cleaning the car. They told me all about what they had for Christmas, they kept me talking for about 20 minutes, they were still excited about Christmas even though it has now been over a week since it began. Still it was nice to see them happy. I did manage to get her the carrots, she was pleased to receive them and told me they would have them tomorrow. More soon.

2 comments:

  1. Belatedly,,, All the very best for 2014, Daydreamer!

    I do so enjoy reading your blog: an island of calm in these tempestuous times (ok: probably no more stormy, really, than in any other age: it just feels like it, the older one gets!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,
      Belated apologise my friend for those kind words. Unfortunately I am useless with this computer and to be honest hit a button and found I couldn't post my latest blog. This is how I found you comment.
      May I wish you all you would wish for yourself for 2014. Brian.

      Delete