Tuesday 7 January 2014

What a performance

I have been having difficulty in accessing my blog for quite some time but today it just wouldn't allow me to use it. I had to find my blog via Google.
 I have just had a phone call from Calor, tomorrow they were supposed to arrive and move my Bulk Tank. This will now not happen as there has been some sort of panic so it will be next Thursday, hopefully.
 I had received the components etc. for the re-siting, this included yesterday some base, this morning a compacter and this afternoon cement, ballast, sand and something else. The common name for the compacter is a whacker plate. I suppose it will be incorrectly spelled but anyone who knows a little say of block paving will know exactly what I mean.
 The photos, incidentally which are of poor quality, are of a few of my place mats. It was my American friend on his blog that bought it back to me. He mentioned Green Shield stamps. All of us of a certain age remember those.
 The place mats were not part of this system. Again those of a certain age will recall that Petrol Stations would offer you certain things if you bought fuel from them. Generally it was glasses which were of mediocre quality.
 I used to go to a Garage selling fuel. Incidentally it was  Regent which was a popular chain in the early 60s. Anyway this offer came about with every 4 gallons of fuel(nearly all were petrol engines) you had a token and after collecting 4 tokens one could purchase  1 place mat for a cost I think of either 1/- or 2/-. I think it was the latter. They were well made, you can't tell by the poor quality of my photos just how good they originally were but the top is made of tin and very substantial. As was the norm, the promotions would only last for a short time and usually it was impossible to collect the set.
 I don't know why but I got on very well with the owner and he did warn me that shortly the offer was being withdrawn. By that time I had managed to collect 5 but one was a duplicate. Generally you would not have the choice of place mat, one was just given to you. I mentioned this to the owner and surprisingly he took me to where he had these mats and showed me the complete set offering to swap the duplicate one for the most difficult one to obtain. There was always one item that was difficult to get no matter what you collected, that was of course if you were trying to get a complete set. He told me that the promoters did this on purpose just to get you to purchase more fuel.
 What he did tell me was that he would save the one I had not got just to make sure I would get the set. In fact I managed to collect 7 altogether. One spare. This would be around 1963.
 When my late Mother saw them she more or less commandeered them for herself, not that she used them much at all but it was because they really did look quality back in those days.
 Anyway she looked after most of them for well over 40 years, unfortunately one of them got damaged and since I have been here, I have used a few of them myself.
 The photos I have taken are some of the better ones I have, you must bear in mind that they over 50 years old but I still like them. I have 3 which are still quite good.
In the early 70s I purchased a new Van from a Garage and they went me a calendar with pictures of old care. I have taken a few photos of them. I hope to post them soon. To be honest, I think the first photo is one of those on the Calendar. Must get my act together. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment