Monday 24 January 2011

Council Workmen

As most will know, for the last 4 years I rented a Council Property.
As it was not very well protected, I decided with a mate who I described before helped me make it more secure.
Well the Council employed a man whose job it was to assess work that was needed then arrange for it to be done. I had cause to have him come to visit me because I had a break in.
He called a few times, he seemed pleasant enough and when he saw the improvements I had done informed me that he had had a word with his boss and suggested that the Council could also improve the property. His intention was to have the windows replaced and new double doors also replaced. He told me that he had arranged for a man to call and visit him on site and asked me if I would be there. I told him that I would.
The day came and he came to see me, while we were waiting we had a drink and talk. When this car drove up, he immediately recognised it and went out to meet him. He greeted him with "You managed to find it then". He then took him round to show what was required. The old windows were single glazed metal framed. They were being replaced by wooden framed single glazed windows. I think there were 4 6ft wide by app 30" deep. The double doors were being replaced as they were rotting at the base. The conversation went something like this. "Well you've seen what is needed, we have about £1200 in the kitty so don't spend anymore than that. I shan't be getting another quote so if you want the job it's yours." The man readily agreed to do the job. He turned to me and told me that I should make arrangements with the builder as to when they came. I was astounded, I had been in business for over 30 years and never would I have acted in such a way. Not to get at least 2 quotes baffled me.
I couldn't wait to tell my mate what had gone on. Mind you, much later he found out that he was getting a little bonus from some people that he gave jobs to. I am innocent and would never have thought anything like that went on, but on reflection, he did tell me once or twice that he could not get something done for me. I guess I should have had a few notes in my pocket to give him. I know of one man who gave him a few quid for doing him a favour.
To me though, it is robbing the Council Tax payer. If he could have saved £200 from my job and say he could save the same amount off another 10 jobs in a year. That is £2000 saved in one department.
By the way, this was in about 1994. He used to say he was not well paid, I think he was on about £12500 a year then. Mind you, he was a gambler. He retired some years ago. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Corruption, theft and deceit are the way of many, many people - and the most amazing thing is that they most of them don't seem to think they're doing anything immoral!

    I'd prosecute every single one of them and make them do Community Service to help kids who are bullied in schools, or single Mums or some other group who society seems to ignore.

    Interesting story - thanks!

    ReplyDelete