Friday 14 January 2011

Part two

Now a little more about this guy.
As I told you, he started to call and see me fairly regular. When we were on our own he would tell me things he would not tell to the others. One day he told me that if he had his time over again he would be a gigolo. I started to laugh. He told me it was no joke, he was serious about it. He then told me that he and his wife led separate lives, he had 2 sons one about 18 the other about 15. He told me that he had very little contact with them although they lived in the same house. Another day he told me that he had decided not to go away he was going to run the dodgems at the seaside for the season. I immediately thought he wont make £500 in 2 months let alone £500 a week that he was used to.
The day came for him to start and he told me that he would not be seeing me for a while as he was going to overhaul the cars to make sure all were O.K.
It didn't take him that long and was soon seeing me again. Now the early season was upon us. He came in to see me regular quite often saying he had just been or had to go to the Bank. Well. one day I asked him why he was going to the Bank so regular. He told me that he was taking money to the bank. Oh my God I said, the Bank will be charging you a fortune. He looked at me in disbelief, he then stated what could he do as the money he was taking was small units. I told him that the charge would be more as the Bank charged for every item they handled. I could see he didn't really believe me so I told him to ask for a statement the next time he went to the Bank.
About a week later, he came in, his face was like thunder. I just told him that he had the statement then. Yes he told me then informed me he hadn't believed me. I said to him I would never lie and would do all I could to help him as this was his first business venture. He asked me what he could do. I said to him that he could go to all cafe's and restaurant's they, including me would take all the £ notes and 50p pieces. He should then bag the shot. the name for small change, then take it to the arcades I was sure they would take the change from him. He did that but during the height6 of the season I didn't have time to see anybody.
It was towards the end of the peak period that I heard someone discussing him and saying that his eldest Son had taken over the running of the dodgems. Unfortunately I never saw him again.
Now my best pal rung me up last night so I asked him if he could tell me what happened to him. My best pal told me that he had been to Venezuela just before the season. He then told me that in the height of the season, he called up to my pals kiosk and told him that his agent had asked him to go on a special job. He told me that from then on it was as if he had vanished. He told me that he and his wife had sent a Christmas Card to where they lived, he then told me that they did receive a card but it only had her name on it. So I suppose he finally decided to be a gigolo. He was a nice guy really. Still that is life.

1 comment:

  1. Banks!

    Anyone would think they were private companies just out to make a profit!

    ReplyDelete