Wednesday 5 January 2011

A New Year

Well 2011 is now upon us all and I wish those who read this blog A Great Year.
Mine has started as it ended really. Dental problems, mind you, I must say this. It happened this afternoon. The phone rang and when I answered I was surprised as it was my Diabetic Nurse. She rung up to see if I was alright. I was taken aback somewhat and asked why the call. She then told me that she had just found my latest blood tests taken in November. I told her it was the end of November. I like to see the same Nurse as she will check my blood pressure. I then informed her that my medication had increased for hypertension but it would be at least another fortnight before I had it checked again. She accepted this, asked a few cursory questions then told me she would keep in touch. I was surprised that she had taken such an interest in my health.
Anyway back to my teeth. I had an appointment early this morning. A couple of things happened that made me smile. The first was when I took a seat, sitting next to me was a man reading a magazine. A few minutes later his wife. I guess appeared and told him that the Dentist had not taken any teeth out and would not, as he was leaving the practice to go back to Oxford. This was where he lived. Her husband's face went dark. He was not amused. She then explained the the Dentist said it was not fair to start a treatment only for another Dentist to finish the treatment off. I could see the logic, he I think did not. Soon after another couple came by, the man had a sort of walking aid they were going to another part of the Medical Centre. I then heard a woman shout to a very young child that he could not go outside to be with Grandad as he was having a Fag. The couple then reappeared. He stopped and immediately she told him he could not stop there, as she approached me she then told him that she could talk and walk at the same time. Giving me a grin, I then said to her "You are a multi tasker then". Answering me she just told me that she had to be. Almost immediately I was called in. I told my Dental Surgeon that I wished for his advice ad my front tooth had broken again. I suggested that it would be best if I had another complete top and lower set of dentures with the 2 spaces filled. He surprised me as he readily agreed with me. He then told me that the system would be as normal. Several fittings of dentures after impressions were made then the final thing was the extraction and new dentures fitted immediately. He then took the first impression. I now go again on the 120th. January. I will keep all informed.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky for you that you don't have my phobia about dentists!

    Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Modern dentistry is no longer the equivalent of medieval torture that it was when we were young - with one exception - impressions!

    Just reading the word in your post gave me palpitations!

    During the one year process of getting dental implants I had to endure multiple full mouth impressions on the average of every three weeks. Although I got to tolerate them quite well after a while, the knowledge that they were to occur still stressed me prior to every appointment.

    Surely modern technology could come up with a better and more accurate alternative.

    ReplyDelete