Tuesday 18 January 2011

Fish

Watching the news and the restriction of fish bought to mind this story.
It so happened that in the 70s Customs and Excise, who at that time set the rateable values on properties, I think only business, increased my rateable value by quite an amount.
Well you know just how I feel about my Accountant. This was really before I knew him very well. I told him that I was thinking of appealing the increase. He readily agreed and informed me that he would come with me at his own expense to fight the case. Needless to say we lost. I was not pleased by the way he performed, even less when he told me that it was a good experience for him as it was the fist time he had done anything like that. Typical, I thought wasted my time.
Now again in the I guess the late 80s. I would say 18986/7 time I again had an increase of my rates. I wrote and told them that I did not think it right that my rates were more than the rent I was paying. I received a letter informing me that a Customs man would come to see me.
I know it was a September because my Mother used to visit me for a month in September and she was present when the man called.
He was pleasant and addressed me as Mr. I immediately told him to call me by my christian name and I was not going to be nasty at all to him. I then told him to make himself at home and asked if he wanted tea or coffee. He wanted coffee. I introduced my Mother to him, he then sat down and told me to call him by his christian name too. I then told him that several years before I had appealed, he ten got the papers out. I just said to him that he would know everything then. Yes he told me but things are now a little different. I asked him why? Well he told me, the Boston Office is to close and his boss was being transferred to Nottingham. I enquired as to what was going to happen to him. He told me that he had a full pension and no matter how much more he paid in he would receive no more pension . I suggested that he take early retirement. He told me that was what he and his wife had been discussing. He did not wish to leave the area, he then told me his son had left home and was at University so he would probably take early retirement. I then suggested to him that he had seen many changes during his life as a Customs and Excise official.
He then surprised me with what he said next.
He told me that as a junior he was sent to Hull. His first assignment was at Hull Docks. I immediately informed him that Hull along with Liverpool were the two most militant Docks in the country.
He grinned and told me that he found that out but only after he went back to his office. Anyway, he went to the Docks the man on the gate asked for his permit and then told him where to go. He told me that the job was routine and only took an hour or so. Anyway he said, when I left and got to the gate the man just told me that this package was for him.
He told my Mum and I that he was astounded, he immediately told him that he could not accept a gift under any circumstances and that he would report the incident to his boss.
As soon as he got back in his office, he went to see his boss and told him what had happened. Immediately his boss took his head in his hands and informed him that fish at the docks was just about the same as being offered a cup of tea in a restaurant. He just hoped that things could be smoothed out at the docks.
Well a couple of days later he told me he was sent again to the Docks, the same guy was on the gate. He told me that he immediately apologised for what had happened. The gate man just shrugged his shoulders.
He said he was dreading the time to leave but when he got to the gate, the gate man told him once again that there was a package for him. He then said to the man if he didn't mind he would like to pay for the package. The man said O.K and told him it was 2/-. 10p in new money. He then put it in his car and drove off being a lot of fish better off but 2/- the poorer.
He said when he got home he, with his young wife examined the box. He was very pleased with what was in the box. He told me it was worth a lot more than what he had paid for but he felt good because he had paid for the fish.
He told me from that day onwards, every time he went on the Docks there was always a box of fish for him. He said to me that his wife was a little disappointed when he was promoted and moved away from Hull.
He then discussed fish in general but came the time when we had to talk about my rates. I said to him give me your hand and reduce my rates by £200. Oh dear he remarked my boss would kill me if I went back with a deal like that. I reminded him that he was leaving very soon and Boston would soon be no more. We shook hands on the deal. We then talked for about another 20 minutes or so. He then told us he really had to go but he had thoroughly enjoyed his visit . Both my Mother and I admitted that it had been a most enjoyable 90 minutes or so. He told us that he had never stayed so long at one place before and that he had 3 other properties to see. He grinned and said, they've no chance though.
After he had gone, my Mother was still in a sort of stupor. She just couldn't get over how open and honest he had been. She just couldn't believe all he had told us.
Anyway I had my rates reduced by £200. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know, on street corners, in shops and cafes and anywhere where two or three people are gathered together and afterwards can't remember for the life of them what they were talking about, it was usually the price of fish.

    Happens all the time.

    Fancy hood-winking him like that! Shame on you!

    ReplyDelete